How do I migrate Agile Boards?

Lou Barsony June 3, 2015

I am currently running JIRA in the trial version but I wish to migrate everything to a production version.

Both versions are running the same version, 6.3.14. I have done a system backup but it does

not appear to be complete with the Agile boards. How do I move Agile boards?

3 answers

2 votes
William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2015

@Lou Barsony -

Atlassian is in the process of extending their Project Import tool (rebranding it 'Extended Project Import') which provides the Agile data migration.

Currently it's still in beta and I don't know the proposed release date. You can via JIRA issues which request this functionality here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-28748

To sign up for the Beta program you can try this link: http://goo.gl/RgNOxX

All That Said....

If you don't have any data in the production system you want to keep you can get all the JIRA Agile data (and your configs, projects, issues, etc) through a JIRA XML Backup and Restore - NOTE: This will replace all of the data in your production system, so only do a full backup and restore if you need to preserve information in your prod system.

Hope that helps. We (Capital City Consultants) have done this JIRA Agile migration using the current Project Import tool along with a second SQL Queries step that manually merges the two systems Agile data. It's a time-consuming process that requires a fair amount of setup and control + system down time while you're running the SQL .... but it worked (woot!) and preserved all issue history, rapid board info, column mappings, ranking data, sprint history, etc. - so we know a lot about what's involved in trying to do this manually.

Hope that helps

-wc

Lou Barsony June 4, 2015

Thank you, this looks really helpful. However, the letter from Atlassian Product Management in JRA-28748 does not look so great :-( .

William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2015

@Lou Barsony - are you referring to the note dated Atlassian Status as of 23 April 2015 at the top of the issue? That, or it's equivalent, has been up there since sometime last year. We've been testing the extended import beta and it's looking real good. Still a pain about it not migrating the rapid boards - is that what you meant about not looking great? -wc

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 28, 2016

Agreed, having taken the approach of SQL merges, I do not recommend it either

0 votes
José Marañón [Awnaba Software S.L.]
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2017

Project Configurator for JIRA permits project export and import between different JIRA instances, including boards and Agile data (data, only on JIRA 7). Boards can also be exported/imported independently from project data.

This plugin is available only for JIRA Server .

(Disclaimer: I am part of the team behind this plugin)

Stefani Kaimakliotou September 25, 2018

How can i export only the boards from one project (one instance) to the same project but in another instance?

0 votes
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 3, 2015

My first thought was: why migrate? Is there a special reason why you needed a new server, and not just update the license key of your existing server?

Suggest an answer