How do I map a csv file so it doses not create new users during import

JT
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 8, 2013

I am trying to import a csv flle into JIRA, all of the Assignee's in the csv file have JIRA accounts. During the import, new accounts are being created for the users.

I have tried apping the Assignee field in the csv file to the JIRA Assignee field.

I have tried mapping the Assignee field in the csv file to the JIRA Assignee field and then map the field value to the user account ID.

I have also tried mapping the Assignee field in the csv file to the JIRA Assignee field and map the field value to the user name.

I have tried not mapping the field at all.

How do I map my csv file so it does not create new users when a user account already exists?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
JT
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 25, 2013

resolved locally

0 votes
David Chan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 9, 2013

One of the devs had ansewered this here:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/33842/jira-creates-new-users-when-importing-issues-from-csv

There's no way to disable the automatic user creation. Without it the import will simply fail. You can try doing some pre-processing to your CSV file and maybe rename the users to an existing one.

JT
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 9, 2013

David,

Thank you for the response. My assumption was that the importer would map the users names to the existing users. This does not appear to be happening. As a result it is creating duplicate users (all of the "users" in the import file have an existing JIRA account).

The import I am currently running includes 100+ users. Having to go back into User Management and "merge" each of these accounts will be very time consuming.

Suggest an answer