How do I make time-tracking on sub-tasks to roll up to the parent issue time tracking?

Alex Hadden-Boyd July 31, 2020

There is lots of discussion about this in the community, but it's pretty old.  I would like to enter my time tracking on each sub-task and have the sum displayed in the parent issue.  We're using Jira Cloud.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2020

The time rolls up in the time-tracking fields in "classic" projects, but that function is not there for next-gen projects yet.

Of course, you won't be using time tracking for the estimates in scrum projects, as it breaks them.

Alex Hadden-Boyd August 2, 2020

@Nic Brough  What do you mean by Breaking Scrum projects?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2020

In Scrum, you do not estimate on sub-tasks, so there's no need to roll up (and it breaks if you try it)

anuerindiaz-accenture October 27, 2021

What we are using might not be scrum (I am not even sure if its agile) but I am not here to discuss what is or is not agile. I am doing the export from the Search Issues screen which is agnostic on the development framework.

I need the aggregated time spent by the team for a given Task ticket to be part of the exported values as part of our reporting. The sum of the time spent in each sub-task is showing up on the Task screen so how can I get that value without visiting each ticket manually and capturing it back to the exported csv?

Thanks.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Ewa Grabowska-Ptak_SolDevelo_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 28, 2021

Hello, I would recommend to use our addon: Worklogs Time Tracking and Reports. It's an app that allows you to create custom reports and view time logged by all Jira users. You can also count the time spent on the subtask in its parent issue. In order to do that you are going to have to click on Options and select to sum subtasks:

Subtasks 2.png

You can also list them in secondary grouping and view the hours summed in Total row:

Subtasks 1.png
Also, Jira native function allows you to select to count the subtasks time in the overall time logs of the parent ticket:

include subtasks.png

Hope it helps! 

Hines Trulock August 22, 2022

Why should we have to purchase a plug-in for this function to work?  Currently I have dozes of parent tasks with hundreds of sub-tasks.  Each of the sub-tasks have work logged but it's not showing on the parent task.  I think think this should be fixed to work as intended.  

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 22, 2022

You don't need an app.  As Ewa pointed out in their third screenshot, the parent issues do have a roll up of the estimates and time-tracking.

You just can't use that for sprints, because iit''ll break all your reporting.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events