How do I make the “Affects Version/s:” editable for a Spike?

coachingthroughcrisis January 24, 2020

Currently, when I create a spike I am unable to enter anything in for the “Affects Version/s” field.   When creating a story I can edit this field but when creating a spike I cannot edit this field?   I would like to be able to edit this field so I can include all sprints that this Spike is affecting?

2 answers

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2020

Hi @coachingthroughcrisis

I'm going to take a guess you're on Jira Server and/or Data Center?

If yes, unlike Cloud where the field options are a little more flexible, there are a few fields which are static on the issue view in Server, even if they are not in your screens, including Affects Versions - meaning you can see it, but can't access it.

To edit the field within your Spike, you'd need to add the field to the screen - to check if it's there:

1. Go to Jira Administration > Issues
  2. Go to Screens on the left-hand side, and locate the screen used for your Spike. If you're unsure which one, go to Issue Type Screen Schemes instead, locate your ITSS via the "project" column and work down to the Spike's screen.
  3. Press Configure on the far-right
  4. Ensure Affects Versions is in the screen - if not, add it

If it is there - you can check the operations within your screen scheme:

1. Go to Screen Schemes on the left-hand side and locate the scheme used by your Spike Issue Type (you can also find out which one from the ITSS for your project).
  2. Press Configure on the far-right
  3. Check which operations are associated with your screen - if it's Default, it's all operations. If your screen is only in View (for example), that means the field will only show up when viewing an issue, not via editing or creating. You need edit and/or create.
  4. To add operations, press the "Associate an issue operation with a screen" button in the upper-right.

For more on screen operations, click here.

If you want to hide Affects Versions on other projects / issue types to avoid future confusion, you could do this via Field Configurations / Field Configuration Schemes.

^ If neither of these work - or you're on Cloud - provide some screenshots like Veera mentioned :)

Ste

0 votes
Veera
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 24, 2020

@coachingthroughcrisis 

It seems 'Spike' is another issue type similar to 'Story' in your project. Correct?

You need to add “Affects Version/s” field to the respective screen used by 'Spike' issue type.

You can find the correct screen from Project settings > Screens. Click on the screen used by 'Spike' issue type and added “Affects Version/s” field to it.

coachingthroughcrisis January 24, 2020

I have the field (Affects Version/s) in the Spike, it is just NOT editable, when I am in a Spike. 

Like Veera likes this
Veera
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 24, 2020

It'll be easy if you can share screenshots how it looks when you try to edit  “Affects Version/s” field from a Story and a Spike.

Suggest an answer