How do I make "Required" fields not required?

Brenden Prazner August 9, 2012

Hi Atlassian world,

I am trying to configure a Issue Collector but it is warning me that two of my fields are flagged as Required: Attachement and Assignee.

I looked in the View Field Configuration page and they are flagged as 'Required' however unline all the other fields there is no optino to make them optional. See screen shot:

As you can see the Assignee and Attachment fields are marked as 'Required' but do not have an 'Optional' operation next to them.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated :)

7 answers

0 votes
Weijing January 30, 2013

Our customer are having trouble with this issue. I think maybe it is a legacy which upgraded from 3.x.

I wonder if it is possible to fix it in JIRA database?

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2013

You should post this as a new question, as it makes it clear about the context in which you are asking this.

0 votes
Andre van der Elst December 20, 2012

as a workaround I've now created a new screenscheme + screens for just this project. 'create issue' is matched to a screen that doesn't have 'attachment' and 'assignee' on it, this also means that when you create an issue manually (not using the issue collector) you have to upload attachments after creating the issue.

With the new scheme this only applies to the project that's using an issue collector.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong but clicking through all the schemes/fields/screens etc gets confusing after a while.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2012

I'm stuck, I'm sorry. I don't know enough about the issue collectors.

lucky you!

I'll close this answer as I've got a working workaround for now.

0 votes

when I remove the 'Assignee' and 'Attachment' fields from the 'default' screen this error message goes away, but now I can't use attachments anymore when creating an issue.

0 votes

I changed the general settings to allow unassigned issues, unfortunately this doesn't help.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2012

Ahh, that's a little different - the issue collectors are a different kettle of fish.

Could you try creating an issue in the standard UI - what does that do with attachments and assignee? We need to establish that those are working ok before going on to issue collectors.

looks like the screenshot below, I'm now trying to create a new screenscheme & new default screen for this project.

The weird thing is I had a working Issue Collector on another project in the past, I don't recall changing anything to get that working.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 20, 2012

Hmm, that's interesting.

I don't actually know OnDemand well enough to be sure, but there's a bug in older versions of Jira where the attachments field was displayed as mandatory, but was still optional.

For the assignee, does your system allow unassigned issues? (I don't know if you can enable/disable this in OnDemand). If it does not, then the assignee field will be flagged mandatory.

In both cases, what happens if you don't attach anything, or set an assignee and try to create/update the issue?

0 votes

Hi Brenden,

were you able to resolve this ? I'm having the same issue on my (locally installed) Jira.

The same fields (assignee and attachtments) are required with seemingly no way to make them optional.

Brenden Prazner December 20, 2012

Hi Andre,

No I did not get this working. I eventually gave up on it as I had more pressing things I needed to do. I will return to it in the new year and hopefully by then a solution may surface :)

Merry Christmas to you.

0 votes
Aseem Parikh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2012

Click on that "Field Configurations" tab in the left nav and select the Configure link for your field configuration (which appears to be DNC Field Configuration from the screenshot).

From there, you should be able to toggle required/optional fields by clicking the appropriate link for the field.

Brenden Prazner August 15, 2012

Hi Aseem,

Thanks for the reply. This is where my issue is, as the two fields I want to change ("Assignee" and "Attachements") do not have the toggle to mark it as 'Required' or 'Optional'. If you see in the screen-shot above both these fields are missing this Operation toggle and I am not sure why...

Thanks so much for your reply though!

Aseem Parikh
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 15, 2012

Ahhh...I see the problem. That's very interesting to say the least :)

I can't be certain, but it may just be a glitch (or a feature -- I haven't used OnDemand yet). You could try copying the field configuration or re-creating it as a workaround.

Brenden Prazner August 15, 2012

Nice workaround! But atlas... it seemed to also copy this limiation with it. I am sure its a setting or a flag, or how the field is used elsewhere that is doing it but I can't seem to figure the silly thing out :)

Cheers for your suggestion!

Suggest an answer