How do I make custom fields visible when someone is viewing an issue?

Sean McCleary August 7, 2012

I've added a custom field to the resolution screen: "URL where this fix or feature can be tested:"

Problem is, when the reporter comes back to view the issue, that field is not displayed along with the other information on the issue.

How do I make this new value visible?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Faisal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2012

Hey Sean,

I think the custom field is not appearing when viewing the issue is because the field itself is not mapped to the screen associated to the View Issue operation. Hence, can you kindly ensure that the field has been mapped to the View Issue screen for the project?

Reference: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Adding+a+Custom+Field

Hence, you may try to map the custom field to the screen by going to Administration > Custom Field > click the 'gear' icon to open the drop down > Screens

Hope this helps!

Cheers.

Faisal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2012

Hey Sean,

By default, the Default Screen should be mapped to the View Issue operation. Hence, can you try to map that custom field to Default Screen and see if the field appears when we access the issues?

Sean McCleary August 8, 2012

Hi Ahmad,

When I do that, I don't see a screen called "View Issue". I see:

• Default Screen
  • Resolve Issue Screen
  • Workflow Screen

Is something missing from my system?

Sean McCleary August 8, 2012

Hi Ahmad,

thanks, that did make the field visible when viewing an issue. However, now the user is prompted to enter a value for this custom field when creating a new issue. I'd like this field to be entered only when an issue is resolved.

If I set it to the "Resolve Issue Screen", then the user is prompted to enter a value for it when resolving an issue. But the value he enters is never visible to anyone else (such as the person who may want to view the resolved issue and, if it looks good, close it.)

Is there any way to accomplish that?

Faisal
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 8, 2012

Sean,

It's good to know that the custom field is now appearing in issues after mapping that field to the Default Screen. And yes it's true that by mapping the custom field to default screen, it will appear in the Create Issue screen as well. This is because for default JIRA configuration, both Create Issue and View Issue operation is using the Default Screen.

Anyway since we don't want to have the field appear in the Create Issue screen, then you may try to apply the following suggested configuration:
- Create a new screen via Administration > Screens. This screen is meant to be used for the Create Issue operation, hence you may map the fields to the screen as needed (exclude the custom field)
- You may then go to Administration > Screen Schemes > Default Screen Schemes > Configure > Associate an Issue Operation with a Screen. Map the created screen to the Create Issue operation

More details on the configuration, kindly refer to the following documentation:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Defining+a+Screen
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Associating+a+Screen+with+an+Issue+Operation

Good luck!

Sean McCleary August 9, 2012

Ahmad, it works! Thanks so much for your help!

Suggest an answer