How do I make a status ask for a reason from a multiple choice list

Andrea Beaven September 6, 2017

Hi, we have just purchased JIRA and I am trying to configure a workflow but I am not having much luck.

The process I would like to do it:

Tester raises a defect and assigns to developer, the status is currently open.

The defect is picked up by the developer and they select Under review so we know the defect is being looked at.

At the point of choosing the under review button the option to Accept, Reject or Defer the defect is added to the tool bar.

If they choose Accept the status updates to 'In development'

This first part I have configured ok

If they choose Reject I would like it to pop up with a list of reasons for rejection and once selected the status will update to the reason selected.

If they choose Defer again I would like it to pop up with a list of reasons for deferral and once selected the status will update to the reason selected.

If they defer it will auto assign to the PM (I have figured this bit out)

If they reject it will be returned to the tester (again I have figures this bit out)

The PM or Tester will then have the option to return the defect to developer or close the defect.

Can anyone help me with the multple selection options when I select either Reject or Defer?

Thanks in advance

1 answer

0 votes
Brian Jones
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2017

What is the reasoning behind choosing either Defer or Reject and then having another status for why it was deferred or rejected? Just trying to understand the underlying reasoning here. It could be that you don't really need this part, or that its as easy as using Resolution for these and closing out the issue unless someone decides to reopen it in the future.

Andrea Beaven September 7, 2017

Hi Brian

When a defect is raised we have the option on the toolbar to Accept, Reject or Defer. If they accept the status automatically updates to 'In Development'

If they reject the defect we want to know why and we have a list of choices for them to pick from. Once they choose an option it will be returned to the tester, this may be for something like Unable to Reproduce or More Info Required.

This is similar if they wish to defer a defect we have a list of reasons why a defect is deferred and it automatically assigns to the PM. Basically what I want it to do is when they choose reject/defer it asks them why, they choose a reason which then becomes the status. I have looked online and it mentioned a plug in but we dont want to purchase any extras if this is something we can already achive in the current version.

Thanks

Brian Jones
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 7, 2017

I can think of a couple ways to accomplish this, both would be with plugins. Lets use the Defer option for an example below.

1. Use the JMWE (JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions) plugin. To do this you would need to create a custom field with the options for the Defer transition. You could then put that field on a transition screen for "Defer" and add a validator that the field is required. Lastly, you could then use the "Transition Issue" post function from JMWE (with a groovy script) to have it transition to a certain status based on the field selection. You would need to add one of these post functions for all of your options. 
  2.  The other option would be using Scriptrunner to create a script post function. You would still need to create the custom field, add a transition screen and a validator to require the field. But instead of the "Transition Issue" post function you would add a "Script" post function and write a script to transition the issue to a certain status based on the field value.

I hope i wasn't rambling too much there. You can always contact me directly if you have any questions. Or the Adaptavist guys that own and run Scriptrunner are super responsive with questions.  

Suggest an answer