How do I make a bug ticket with a custom notification workflow searchable?

James Nelson August 2, 2016

I created a custom workflow for notification in a JIRA project. The notification works, but the bugs don't appear in the project backlog, or are searchable.  Is there any way to fix this?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2016

This is a little confused, as there's no such thing as a "notification workflow", so I don't really understand that part of it.

However, if you create an issue and it does not appear in your backlog, then the issue is not being selected by the board filter.  If they're not searchable either, then that would also drop them from the backlog, but it also implies that you've got a very broken installation.  Are there errors in the logs when you create these issues?  Are other issues ok?

The notifications have nothing to do with visibility or search.

James Nelson August 8, 2016

When I say "not searchable", I mean searching for a string in the subject line or a complete list of all issues would not show the issue, but searching for the specific issue # will show the issue.  Adding something in the "Fix Version" or "Sprint" fields makes it magically re-appear on the board.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2016

I'd like a little bit more diagnostic information if we can - there's still a couple of things I want to check (might be two problems, but we'll worry about that when we know)

Could you create a new issue with a readily identifiable summary, something you are 100% sure a search would find.  Do not set the versions or sprint.

Now do a search for the readily identifiable thing in the plain issue navigator - does that return it in the list?

Check that it's not on the board too, in either the backlog or the work in progress

Next, edit the issue, and change the summary - keep the original phrase, but add a . or a new word to it.  Repeat the search, and check the board again.

Finally, set a fix version and see if the search and board report it.

The answers to those 6 questions (sorry, I know it's a lot), should clear up which of two problems I'm suspecting.

James Nelson August 15, 2016

Sorry this took so long to get to.  

I ran the test as you asked (I'm pretty sure flojo or cabbage has never been used in a ticket before).  

Set the project, issue type, and component.  Was not searchable except for the issue #.  Does not show up in a mass list of all issues in numerical order. Not in any sprint or backlog.

Edited the issue by adding a . in the description.  Appears everywhere now, and completely searchable.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 15, 2016

Heh, no problem, completely understand that things like work, family and sleep sometimes drag you away from the computers!

Your testing has pretty much ruled out one possible issue and nailed it down to the other suspect - "the create process is not indexing your new issue".

So, could you have a look at the workflow and list off the post-functions on the "create" transition (grey circle to <something> arrow)

James Nelson August 15, 2016
  1. Creates the issue originally
  2. Fire a "Custom Bug Created" event to be processed by the listeners. 

The Custom... event uses the Issue Created template, and just changes notification to email some users of the system directly.  Otherwise it's literally a copy of the standard Issue Created.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 16, 2016

Ok, those are absolutely fine too.  I'm a bit stuck now, as there's nothing wrong with your config I can see here.

Two more questions though:

1. Do you have any listeners that might be catching and acting upon the custom bug created event?
  2. Are there any errors in the log when you try a create issue?
0 votes
James Nelson August 17, 2016

Fixed it.  Your identifying of the problem allowed me to dig into the docs a bit deeper.  Adding a custom notification/event to a workflow causes a known bug- you have to add a force "re-index this issue" post process on the create to make things work.  Added it, updated it, and voila- all is well with the world. 

Thanks so much for your help!

Suggest an answer