How do I look at total LOE for each participant before I start the Sprint.

Donna Fell April 12, 2021

When setting up task and assigning LOE, I want to check each participant to make sure we have not gone over/under capacity for that person. Where can i see how much LOE has been assigned before I start the Sprint

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2021

Hi @Donna Fell 

Your team is using scrum, correct?  And...

1. are you pre-assigning work to individual team members at a story level, or
  2. are you watching for capacity impacts based upon what the team forecasts the different stories will need during the sprint?

The second one is more like what scrum teams often do, so that could be addressed by a conversation during sprint planning.  The team could consider what each story needs, and call out "hold it" when they exceed their bandwidth.

If instead the team is doing the first one, each team member would need to speak up about what they can complete during sprint planning.  The person-level filter on the backlog can help with that conversation during sprint planning.

You do not indicate how you measure capacity and level of effort (LOE).  If you have some specific numeric measures, what are those?  Thanks!

Best regards,

Bill

Donna Fell April 15, 2021

We are pre-assigning work to individual team members and using SCRUM. Yes. We are assigning each story with an estimated LOE. My question is: Once all the stories are created and LOE's are filled in, can we run a report on each person to see how much LOE has been assigned to them?

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2021

Hi Donna,

Rather than churn-up people about to comment on pre-assigning work versus using "Scrum"... Let's cover what you can do with Jira Cloud to help your use case.

You have a few of out-of-the-box "reporting" options, one of which I noted earlier:

1. You could filter by each person, or use quick filters, to see their forecasted worklog
  2. Build a filter for each person and view the results.  When this pre-assignment occurs much earlier than sprint planning, you could subscribe to the filter to receive an email on a schedule. (e.g. the day before planning)
  3. Build a dashboard using the filters above, with a gadget for each person to show their forecasted worklog. 

Please see the links for details on these approaches.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events