How do I list issues from multiple filters BY the filter?

J Chong June 13, 2016

I have exception-based filters.  These filters are all put on the same dashboard.  However, I may have issues that appear under multiple filters.

How can I get a list of the exception issues and identify which filters are showing them? 

2 answers

0 votes
J Chong June 15, 2016

More succinctly, if Filter1 delivers a list of issues, and Filter2 delivers a list of issues, I'd like the union of issues from Filter1 and Filter2 to show which filters each individual issue came from.  In that way, the I can see the why behind why each issue was found.

In my scenario, a dashboard houses multiple filters.  I have to evaluate each issue by filter function.  Some of these issues are flagged in multiple filters.  Thus, when I do an action on an issue based on a function, I find I may encounter that same issue again later on as I move from filter list to filter list.

0 votes
Andrea Carl
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2016

If I'm understanding your question, you want a list of issues that belong to more than one filter, correct?

JQL syntax:  filter = "Filter name 1" AND filter = "Filter name 2"

Andrea Carl
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2016

You can not return the name of the filter in JQL since an issue can belong to many, many filters.

I'm still not quite following your scenario: "do an action on an issue based on a function"

However, maybe this will help. I would organize your filters so that your jql does not repeat.  

For example:

Let's say you have a dashboard that shows issues from a certain version.

• Create a "base" filter and name it ABC  (project = "proj name" and fixversion = "version name")

Then each additional filter can include those issues but you do not have to repeat the jql.

for example:

• filter = ABC and resolution is empty
  • filter = ABC and status = "on hold"
  • filter = ABC and assignee in (bob,sue, joe)

Now when you have to change the version name, you only have to change it in the ABC filter.

J Chong June 15, 2016

My filters are data quality tests. 

• FILTER1 returns issues with blank COL1
  • FILTER2 returns issues with blank COL2
  • FILTER3 returns issues with missing owner
  • ... and so forth

FILTER1 returns Issues 1, 2, 3

FILTER2 returns Issues 1, 4, 5

FILTER3 returns Issues 1, 5, 7, 201, 5043

So, in correcting all issues with a blank COL1, by going through FILTER1 results, I cannot see that Issue 1 has other problems as it resolves in FILTER2 and FILTER3.  It would have been nice to know the other problems were there while I was working specifically on Issue 1.

I'd like to generate a dashboard that lists my issues with quality problems by filter reason.

Suggest an answer