How do I limit project access by groups?

Daniel Summerville June 5, 2018

I have users getting access to projects that they should not.  I do not see that the group they are in currently has access but they are getting access.  I must have users set up incorrectly but I do not know what I am doing wrong.

2 answers

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 5, 2018

JIRA works by GRANTING access. You can't restrict access. By default it grants access to the group used to logon (used to be jira-users but may be different on your version).  This is probably where you're getting the access from.

The FIRST thing you need to do to get control is to remove any groups with logon privileges from the permission scheme unless you absolutely want everyone to have that permission.  Then I suggest you setup user roles for the various functions like, tester, QA, Browse Only, etc. Then you can create one permission scheme to cover almost all projects. The project admin controls which users are put in the roles.  This may be a big effort, but it will payoff down the road by making it easy to control access.

0 votes
Victor Mutambuki [Mumo Systems]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 5, 2018

Daniel,

Did you check to see if users have access via roles in the project?

Victor

Suggest an answer