How do I limit a newly created user to a single project?

Russell Ballenger October 24, 2017

Hi, 

I'm having an issue isolating new users to a particular project. 

I did the following: 

- Created a new project 

- Created a custom Permission scheme and assigned to that project ONLY

- Added a Group (to assign unique permissions too)

- Editing my permissions to allow project browsing by my Group Type ONLY 

- Created a user

- Gave access to Jira-software (global permission)

Results: User has access to all projects. When I remove Jira-Software access they can not browser the project. 

What do I do?!?! We need unique boards/projects for external use by 3rd party partners and I have no way of setting this up. Thinking about simply creating a Trello board. 

1 answer

1 vote
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 24, 2017

Instead of adding the user to the jira-software group, give the new group application access. You should also check all your permission schemes to make sure they are not allowing any logged on user to browse projects.

I'm in 

View Global Permissions 

but am unable to locate an option to allow application access to my group. 

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 24, 2017

To add application access follow these steps:

1. Choose  > Applications.
  2. Select Application access in the left-hand menu. The Application access page displays all your applications and their associated groups, including their default groups.
  3. Locate the application you want to assign a specific group to, and click the Select group... drop-down.
  4. Select the group you wish to add. The group will be added to the application.

I gave:

- my group application access 

- assigned a custom Permission scheme and assigned to my project ONLY

- My group is ONLY Listed in that project's Scheme

BUT I'm able to access all projects, Any suggestions?

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 24, 2017

What groups is the test account associated with?

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 24, 2017

Check your existing permission schemes, sounds like they are set to allow any logged in user to browse projects. Change that to either a group or project role. You will find your permission schemes under Admin > Issues > Permission Scheme.

Russell Ballenger October 25, 2017

Thanks to everyone!! I think I figured it out. Took a lot of refactoring (initial permissions scheme was set-up with global access to everything for everybody). :D 

Suggest an answer