How do I keep the component/s field the same in a move to new project

Chris Marble May 24, 2012

When I move an issue to a new project the components field is not auto populated with the previous information.

The same components exist in both projects.

I'm baffled. Help!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Problem Solved.

It was a user error...

When the components were created in the new project the project creator must have copied and pasted the components one by one (there were over 50) into the new project. The copy picked up an extra space at the end of each component name. So the component names did not match exactly as I thought they did.

Once the space was taken out of the component name the two projects had identically named components and the move command recognized it.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2012

Eventhough the component names are same, there are virtually 2 components - with different ids. JIRA treats them as different components and hence you will have to manually apply the new ones after the issue is moved.

If the component field is mandatory in the target project, you will have an option to choose it during the move operation.

The confusing part here is, I can move the same issue to other projects in my installation and have the component value pre-populate in the move screen. Do I have the components linked in the other projects some way? I'm a bit perplexed why it will work going to one project and not another. All the projects are using identical settings for workflow, field configuration, etc. etc. etc.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2012

oh really? I must be missing something here. Use has same permissions in both projects?

Yes. Same permissions. The project that doesn't work was created in 5.0, all others were existing when I upgraded from 3.11 - 4.5 - 5.0. I'll upload some screenshots.

I guess my images didn't upload

Here are a couple screenshots... Both are moving the exact same issue from one project (Neovest 6.2) to Neovest 6.3 and then Neovest 6.4. I only changed what project it went to on the first move screen. One populated the components field, the other didn't. the "Trade Manager" field exists in all three projects.

My screenshot images wont upload.

Update... I created a new project and I am able to move the issue with the Component field populated as long as the same Component exists in the new project. If it doesn't exist, and I add it (the new component) later it will populate it correctly. Still no idea why this one project doesn't...

Still digging though.

mahmoud atout January 17, 2016

I am in the same boat right now

Did u find a solution for the problem and how 

Suggest an answer