How do I integrate JIRA Software Server with JIRA Service Desk?

Maria Victoria Martinez Torino December 23, 2016

Hi,

We have JIRA Software installed in a dedicated server and I would like to know how to proceed if we wanted to integrate it with JIRA Service Desk.

Any comments or more detailed guidance about this topic?

Thanks in advance!

Victoria.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 23, 2016

I assume you're going to install Service Desk into the existing Software server?  If you do that, you'll be working in the same place and hence have a lot of "integration" already. 

Even if that's not the case, there is a question:  What do you mean by "integrate"?  What do you expect to get from it?

Hi Nic,

What you assume is correct. My next question would be: How do actually get Service Desk installed on the same instance I've got JIRA SFW?

Thanks.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 23, 2016

Log in as an admin and go to "manage applications".  There's links for installation in there, although in most cases, it's really as simple as clicking the button and it'll do the whole install for you.

The only option I can see, it's a trial...(see picture below)

FYI - I have JIRA Admin permissions, not JIRA Site Admin ones.

image2016-12-23 15:1:14.png

FYI - We are using JIRA SFW Server 7.1.9.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 23, 2016

That's fine, click the trial, it'll download and install it for you.

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 23, 2016

Or in general the Upload an Application link

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 23, 2016

Good point, I always forget you can upload applications as well as add-ons.

Maria Victoria Martinez Torino December 28, 2016

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist] and @Phill Fox [Adaptavist],

Could you please tell me if there are significant differences in installing and configuring the integration of JIRA Software Server with JIRA Service Desk on a dedicated/hosted environment versus doing the same on JIRA Cloud?

I am asking this because we have some restrictions in installing JIRA Service Desk in our JIRA Software Server but in order to make a decision about whether installing Service Desk or not, we need to try this integration ourselves....so, the best approach I can think about is to try the integration on the Cloud environment and based on the results we get, replicate the same in our dedicated server.

Hope I have been clear enough.

Look forward to hearing your comments and suggestions.

Thanks,

Victoria

Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 28, 2016

Hi @Maria Victoria Martinez Torino

There are some substantial differences between Service Desk and Software when installed in Cloud vs. Server although these generally tend to relate to newer functionality being available in Cloud before Server. 
When you come to look at plugins though the functionality can be considerably different (if it is even available in Cloud).
Looking at your explained circumstances an assessment of the integration on Cloud before implementation on Server would certainly give you a good solid basis on which to make your decisions but the implementation (especially with plugins) may require some different steps to achieve the same/similar results. 
Many people think of the integration as something complex when in reality JIRA Service Desk and JIRA Software work in the same way at the base with issues following workflows through statuses with custom field schemes, permission schemes, etc. The differences are more incremental and can be summarised (somewhat simplified) as

JIRA Software introduces the ability to manage with Agile methodologies - Scrum/Kanban out of the box, other methodologies with customisation.

JIRA Service Desk introduces the ability to manage helpdesk, SLAs and priority queues. 

A single project can make use of one or both of JIRA Software and JIRA Service Desk. So a project which allows the general public to raise support requests would provide a help desk using JSD but the developers may resolve the issues using a Scrum or Kanban board from JIRA Software.

Maria Victoria Martinez Torino December 28, 2016

Thank you @Phill Fox [Adaptavist] for such a quick response.

Based on your reply, my intention is firstly to play with this integration on the Cloud environment and, since you have confirmed that there are no major differences in the functionality offered in Cloud environment versus Server, we will probably consider the possibility on getting JIRA Service Desk installed in our JIRA SFW Servers.

Thanks again,

Vicky.

Suggest an answer