How do I import issues from Bitbucket into JIRA OnDemand?

pcondal June 5, 2012

I had an existing repo at Bitbucket with a few issues logged.

I now have a JIRA OnDemand instance and wanted to check out how the integration between JIRA OnDemand and BitBucket worked.

Right after adding a DVCS repo to a newly created JIRA OnDemand project, there seemed to be a process that seemed to be importing stuff grom the existing BitBucket repo (inclkuding issues), but after the process, none of the issues was imported.

Is the DVCS connection from JIRA supposed to import existing issues from BitBucket?

19 answers

2 accepted

9 votes
Answer accepted
evzijst
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 11, 2013

We've written a free Bitbucket issues importer for JIRA. It's on our marketplace site: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-importers-bitbucket-plugin

Kerby Arion Martino December 3, 2013

Its not working when I try to import from Bitbucket it throws:

Fetching data from Bitbucket failed: org.scribe.exceptions.OAuthConnectionException: There was a problem while creating a connection to the remote service. (the complete exception can be found in the log)

AgentSmith
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 8, 2013

This is a recently introduced issue. Please keep tabs on that here:

https://bitbucket.org/site/master/issue/8604/bitbucket-issue-importer-exporter-is

3 votes
Answer accepted
Ting Luo November 26, 2015

FYI for anyone who searched to this page like me:

Now you can directly import JIRA Project from Bitbucket and many other website directly using the provided method by JIRA in Toolbar drop down list (Project -> Import Project).

Andrés González Aragón February 9, 2017

You, Sr. Are a life saver

13 votes
Joe Workman February 11, 2013

I have to say that its extremely sad that you are promoting JIRA as a better issue tracker inside BitBucket, yet you still dont support an import. I have to spend days writing my own migration script using APIs? Pretty pathetic....

Hendy Irawan April 17, 2013

indeed this is very sad

Ilias Lazaridis May 11, 2013

This is one of the most unprofessional issues I've seen in decades within the IT industry.

Have you people at Atlassian no professional pride? Charging for a commercial product, and handling issues like it's open-source?

Your CEO needs to be fired imeediately.

Like TomJanmaat likes this
Hendy Irawan May 11, 2013

@Ilias, welcome to the club :-) long time no see

your style is immediately recognizable. :) but the essence of your comment is truthful nonetheless.

@Hendy Irawan - just playing around, testing the system. Not that I don't mean what I wrote.

9 votes
evzijst
Atlassian Team
March 26, 2013

Bitbucket now has a proper issue export feature that produces a zip file that contains all issue information for a repo, including attachments and issue logs.

While this is only half the solution you're after, it is an important half and one that makes it possible to write a relatively simple program to convert the archive that Bitbucket produces into a CSV file that can be loaded into JIRA.

We're looking at extending JIRA's own issue importer to natively support Bitbucket's issue exports, but that is not currently being worked on, which means anyone can pick this up and lead the charge.

Detailed info, including the specification of the archive's file layout and data format can be found here:https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BITBUCKET/Export+or+Import+Issue+Data

You are joking, aren't you? Why are you talking like Jira is an open-source free product? It's an commercial issue-tracker, and you charge huge amounts for it.

Get serious and professional, and solve this, immediately.

I mean, I use free bitbucket, and the I think to upgrade to a commercial issue-tracker of yours (payed service), and what comes?

I cannot import the issues - and I'm asked to write code to do so.

Sorry, but you are ridiculous - and I don't know if your CEO knows about this abuse of customer-trust you display here.

evzijst
Atlassian Team
May 11, 2013

> Why are you talking like Jira is an open-source free product?

JIRA is not open source and I'm unaware of any messaging that would indicate otherwise. Where did you see this?

> Sorry, but you are ridiculous - and I don't know if your CEO knows about this abuse
> of customer-trust you display here.

Sorry you feel that way, but you are quite welcome to share your thoughts with our CEOs: http://www.atlassian.com/company/contact/contact-ceos

Ilias Lazaridis May 12, 2013

JIRA is not open source and I'm unaware of any messaging that would indicate otherwise. Where did you see this?

If you even don't see it, then you have a much more serious problem than I thought.

For me, just this is enough:

"We're looking at extending JIRA's own issue importer to natively support Bitbucket's issue exports, but that is not currently being worked on, which means anyone can pick this up and lead the charge."

You *must* be kidding here, for sure you talk about an open-source product.

8 votes
Jonathan Saggau November 24, 2012

I wrote a little python script that makes this a bit easier.

https://bitbucket.org/Enharmonic/bitbucket-to-jira-issue-conversion

Moritz Mair May 23, 2018

Even the last change is from 2013 it still works :-)

2 votes
Felipe Cuozzo
Atlassian Team
June 13, 2012

Hi Josep,

Unfortunetelly this isn't yet implemented but it's on our road map.

The DVCS connector will allow you to reference JIRA issue keys on your commit messages and provide the ability to display the commits on BitBucket that are associated with a given issue on JIRA.

There is a feature request on BitButcket to allow you to export your issues:

https://bitbucket.org/site/master/issue/232/add-ability-to-export-import-issues

Once that is ready you should be able to use the JIRA Importer tool described here to import from a CSV file:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Importing+Issues

We plan to have a more automatic process in the future that would allow you to seamlessly move your issues from BitBucket to OnDemand.

Cheers,
Felipe Cuozzo
OnDemand Developer

You should hide yourself for having written this nearly a year before.

The most essential functionality, in order to allow migration from your basic issue tracker (this joke within bitbucket) to your commercial payed-service issue tracker (jira), and you ask PAYING USERS to do this CRAP themselves?

Are you completely out of your mind?

1 vote
MrEnerliance May 31, 2013

When do the OnDemandCustomers get a Bitbucket plug in? I tried the python method listed above, but I keep getting a "invalid syntax" error. Is there an updated python scripts someone wrote to get the json file to csv? I tried the json importer with Jira and it crashed as well.

I really want to get started using Jira, I have successfully linked my bitbucket accounts with the DVCS service, I really need a way to get my issues transfered over to continue. I am hitting a wall here.

Michael Knight
Atlassian Team
September 18, 2013

The Bitbucket importer plugin is now included with JIRA OnDemand. You can find it under JIRA Admin -> External System Import -> Import from Bitbucket.

1 vote
Pierre-Andre Manseau November 17, 2012

Any news on this because it's a lots of work to transfer all the issues from bitbucket.

Thank you

0 votes
Michael Ashton December 11, 2014

I can report the same. I just tried it with our OnDemand installation, and while there were a few errors, overall it went very well, and it was a great timesaver. Thank you, Atlassian!

0 votes
Andres Iglesias April 7, 2014

Hi,

Just a quick note to say that this seems to work nowadays...at least I didn't have any problem besides selecting the correct mapping of issue status between Bitbucket and JIRA

Kind regards

0 votes
Ransom Carroll October 9, 2013

I'm getting the same type of issue. The oauth seems to authenticate correctly, then i get this error

An error occurred whilst rendering this message. Please contact the administrators, and inform them of this bug. Details: ------- org.apache.velocity.exception.MethodInvocationException: Invocation of method 'getCurrentStepName' in class com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.bitbucket.web.ReceiveOauthCodePage threw exception java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: -1 at /templates/standard/jiraformheader.vm[line 36, column 64] at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTIdentifier.execute(ASTIdentifier.java:223) at

0 votes
jgurzoni September 18, 2013

I just tried to import using the ondemand plugin for OnDemand, and get an error. The account I want to import from in a team account, and the application authorization is falling into my user account instead, what's wrong and probably the cause of the problem.

0 votes
jgurzoni September 17, 2013

Hi. I just started using Jira, tried to import my bitbucket repos and saw that it's not possible. Therefore, I'm canceling my JIRA subscription. It's indeed an obvious/required feature that should not be asked for.

Michael Knight
Atlassian Team
September 18, 2013

It has been possible for several weeks now. The Bitbucket importer plugin is now included with JIRA OnDemand. You can find it under JIRA Admin -> External System Import -> Import from Bitbucket.

0 votes
Jonathan Saggau June 20, 2013

This is referenced above, but I thought it might be good to drop it in here again. We wrote this little python script to facilitate bitbuck to JIRA migration. Hope it helps someone! ::

https://bitbucket.org/Enharmonic/bitbucket-to-jira-issue-conversion

0 votes
MrEnerliance June 11, 2013

My understanding is that only syncs up your commits to the new issues you make with Jira moving forward if you use the specail Jira syntax in your commits on bitbucket.

The only somewhat clean way to do it, is to download a trial version of the standalone version of jira, download the bitbucket pluging, import all your issues from bitbucket into the standalone jira demo using the plugin, perform a jira export from the standalone version, then import it to the Jira on-demand site. I just did this successfully. I do agree with everyone here, I don't understand why there is not a bitbucket plugin for the ondemand jira.

The only snag I had was trying to use the jira import feature on the OnDemand Jira, I had the Atlassian tech support help me. Ended up doing it this way https://yourdomain.atlassian.net/secure/admin/XmlRestore!default.jspa

0 votes
Mg12 June 11, 2013

I found this amazingly unprofessional that Jira is advertised inside bitbucket. We signed up for Jira assuming that it was some kind of upgrade, only to find that it was no of the sort.

There is still no way to migrate issues from bitbucket.

Very dissapointed. Not only in the lack of this obvisously needed function, but also, after reading this thread, seeing the shared sentiment, and the lack of action taken to resolve this.

Michael Knight
Atlassian Team
September 18, 2013

After a long wait, the Bitbucket importer plugin is now included with JIRA. You can find it under JIRA Admin -> External System Import -> Import from Bitbucket.

Fashion Freedom Initiative April 16, 2016

The plugin is included with JIRA, but it doesn't always work. My Bitbucket project receives errors:Error_ImportIssuesToJira.png

Don't know what to do about this.

Fashion Freedom Initiative April 16, 2016

Import Error is as of April 16 2016, almost four years after initial comment on this thread.

0 votes
Alejandro Villamarin June 3, 2013

hi, I do have the downloaded version of JIRA, tried to look for this plugin https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-importers-bitbucket-plugin using the Univeral Plugin Manager and never shows up, thus, I downloaded it and copied it (prior stopping JIRA) to the WEB-INF/lib folder.

When restarting, JIRA can't start, saying that is missing a bunch of plugins, if I remove the jar again from the lib folder and restart...JIRA starts normal...what else is required for manual installation of an add-on? I checked this link:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA044/__installing+a+JIRA+plugin+manually

Regards,

0 votes
iptvd May 20, 2013

I too think this issue should be adressed. Atlassian's solutions look suspiciously disconnected as long this misfeature is present.

0 votes
Jim O'Halloran May 12, 2013

Hi,

It's great that there's an import plugin for BitBucket issues. Is there any chance this plugin will be made available to OnDemand users?

Thanks!

evzijst
Atlassian Team
May 13, 2013

You might want to raise and issue here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/AOD and just ask for it.

Ilias Lazaridis May 13, 2013

You might want to stop ignoring the fact that no issue has to be raised in any issue-tracker. The issue exists, and instead of talking around, you should *apologize* and start *immediately* implementing this functionality.

I just ordered a trial, but for sure I'll not go to a full version. And of course I will *not* suggest any customer to go with JIRA, as long as basic (and essentially advertised) functionality is not implemented.

So, the issue exist. Do what you have to do, as a support team of a *payed* service.

Michael Knight
Atlassian Team
May 13, 2013

I've filed JRA-33051 to reques this. Please feel free to vote/watch/comment on this issue.

Note that not all Atlassians that participate on Answers are from Support. Many are engineers who help out just for fun in their spare time.

" just for fun in their spare time." - will you *please* stop talking in this Open Source Tenor? I'm here to evaluate a *commercial* *payed* product/service. This issue is about a *commercial* *payed* product/service.

@Joe Workman and @Hendy Irawan said that this issue is "sad".

They express themselves gently.

This issue here is an insult, mostly against your own professionalism.

Please wake up and *stop* discussing this issue. Just *solve* it, as you owe it.

Alternatively, remove the JIRA advertisement from bitbucket. This had lured me here to JIRA, hitting of course immediately on this import-issue.

Wake up!

Michael Knight
Atlassian Team
May 13, 2013

I'm here to evaluate a *commercial* *payed* product/service. This issue is about a *commercial* *payed* product/service.

That's fine. Just raise your issue on our Support site instead of our self-help site. Evaluators get full support.

No, I will not. "self-help-site" "full support site" - it does not matter for such basic issues. I've invested enough time in trying to point out the most obvious thing:

If you say "Hey, get an upgrade to our professional issue-tracker jira", and you don't provide the upgrade-automatisms, then you have a serious issue of *professionalism*.

Accept it and change it - as simple as that.

(I'm out now, as i have to concentrate on development, and not on tools. For me it's clear that I stay better with the simple & free issue tracker of bitbucket. At least there I don't have many expectations, as it's a free toll)

Suggest an answer