How do I hide specific fields from specific user groups/roles all the time?

Nick Kramer January 11, 2013

Here's my use case:

I want to give access to all issues to one of my clients, but at the same time, I want to have comments that are hidden from them. Most comments they will see.

Now, I know I can actively restrict access to a specific comment when creating the comment, but I don't want to depend on a developer remembering to restrict the comment in the heat of the moment; I want him/her to use a field dedicated to internal comments.

I'm probably missing something basic, but I feel like I've tried everything, includint RTFM.

Thank you!!

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2013

I think you're stuck. Jira doesn't do field security in any way, except on the comments, which, as you say, you have to remember to set when you're entering them. You can't do field security on any other field at all (including a dedicated "internal comments" text box of some sort)

If you had you're own Jira, then you could do something in code, or buy the field security plugin, but OnDemand won't let you do that (yet). I think the best you could do is a spot of javascript that could set the default on the security of comment field so that your developers are less likely to forget.

Nick Kramer January 13, 2013

From Nick to Nic: Thank you for the response. I'm disheartened, but hey, what can one do? I'm a novice on JavaScript and clearly a newbie to Jira. If you have any quick comment or any pointers on whether or not pursuing the JavaScript route is advisable, I'd appreciate. If not, no sweat either; you've already helped a lot.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one with this problem. How are other people handling the segmentation of content between external and internal users?

Through the javascript route?

Just through the standard comments functionality?

If anyone has any guidance and experience, I'm all ears.

Thanks again.

Suggest an answer