How do I have a required field + pre-populate it/inherit the value from a parent (if exists)?

Meigy Tsai June 30, 2022

I want my "Fix version" field for issues/bugs to be a required field so that it needs to be filled in for creation. At the same time, if this issue/bug has a parent, I would like the "Fix version" field to inherit/be pre-populated with the same value as the parent so that the user can just review and see that it is the right version and click "ok" for those cases.

I managed to make the "Fix version" field required. But I can't seem to figure out how to have it pre-set with the parent's value. I tried adding a "post-function" action in the task workflow (which doesn't seem to get triggered until after the creation screen - at which point, the user already manually filled it out).

1 answer

0 votes
Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2022

Hello @Meigy Tsai , I'm not aware of how you could accomplish this in Cloud, the closest you can get is to use a post function as you mentioned or an automation rule. However, both options wouldn't fire until after the issue is created as you identified.

On Jira Server/Data Center I know @ScriptRunner had a "Behaviours" function that allowed you to tap into the create form and prepopulate values, but due to the cloud architecture Behaviours isn't available on Cloud.

It's not a great solution, but if you're goal is to populate the parent Fix Version value in the children, I'd suggest creating an automation rule that triggers after the issue is created and merely updates the Fix Version field with the value from the parent. Most of the time if your users are entering the right version, then the automation rule won't change anything, but if your goal is to get accurate Fix Version data, you could use the rule as a catch all.

Hope this helps

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events