How do I have a mandatory field on the create screen for 1 issue type and not the other

Andrea Beaven September 13, 2017

I am having issues with a mandatory field that is not configured to appear on another.

i have a field config scheme assigned to my project which then has 2 screen configs 1 for defects and 1 for code review which are linked to the relevant screen. When I create a defect several fields are mandatory, these fields are not configured to appear on the code review screen however when I try to create 1 it's asking me to enter data in the fields that are not on display but are mandatory on the defect screen, what am I doing wrong? How can I make 1 field mandatory when creating 1 issue type but not visible or mandatory when creating another issue type?

thanks in adavance 

1 answer

0 votes
Ed Gaile _Atlanta_ GA_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 13, 2017

If you have one field configuration that is associated with both of the screens, and the field are marked as required on the field configuration, you will hit that required error (even if you don't have the field physically added to one of the screens).

An option would be to create a different field configuration for the second screen that has the field marked as optional.  Then in your field configuration scheme, you can associate different issues with the different field configurations.

i.e.

issue type 1 --> field config1 (has field required)

issue type 2 --> field config2 (has field optional)

Andrea Beaven September 14, 2017

Thank you, I think I had spent that much time yesterday going round and round in circles your answers seems so simple now i'm looking at it with fresh eyes, I think I have got it working now thank you

Suggest an answer