How do I groups different workflow statuses (example, Open, Re-open, Block, etc) into a new status?

Anastasios Gerasimou October 24, 2017

In our workflow, we have created a few different ticket statuses that when we want to report on a more "abstract" way.

Example: I have the following statuses, Open, Blocked and Reopend, but i want to group all these together under Open and create a chart per status (pie chart) on the more abstract grouping. Similar for closed, i want to include in the closed all ticket that are fixed and resolved. I cant seem to find away to do that.

Can anyone help?

also is it possible to plot on one of the available charts per status the original estimate ?

thank you

2 answers

0 votes
Arthur Lee November 24, 2023

Wanted to add a reply since I was searching for the same thing. We ended up using an app called Rich Filters for Jira. Our use case was just to show a pie chart, broken down via the StatusCategory (we have many statuses).

To do this with the app, you need to create a Rich Filter, which is the wrapper for what the Jira Dashboard gadgets use to refer back to. Inside the Rich Filter, you can create a smart filter, with one color for each of the StatusCategories.

2023-11-24_12-33-53.jpg

After the Rich Filter is set up, you can add one of Rich Filter gadgets to your dashboard (e.g., pie chart) and use that Rich Filter. You can breakdown by the smart filter you created earlier.

2023-11-24_12-35-40.jpg

Your pie chart will now have this custom breakdown!

2023-11-24_12-37-31.jpg

0 votes
Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2017

Hi, 

You can create a JQL Query for and save it in a filter. 
For e.g you query could be something like
Project = "Test" and Status in (Blocked, Open, Reopened)

Now you try look into pie chart gadget and have your query display data accordingly. 

You can use "Pie Chart" gadget and have your pie chart be distributed against status or any other field you'd like
(For e.g)

Pie Chart.PNG

And you can look into "Pie Chart Workload" gadget and have your pie chart be distributed against status field per original estimate or remaining estimate, etc. 
(For e.g)

Pie Chart Workload.PNG

Anastasios Gerasimou October 24, 2017

Thank you so much for the reply! regarding the second chart, I guess I can request from our administrators to make the gadger available. However, the first part of he issue is a bit more complicated. The problem is that even if I create the filter (i have), and show the pie chart based on the filter and per status, it shows the original workflow statuses. What I want could be explained as:

Project = "Test" and Status in (Blocked, Open, Reopened) As Open  statement. This is what i want, to be showing on the pie chart the "new" open not the existing workflow statuses

Like # people like this
Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2017

I'm afraid there is no functionality as such. 
Btw, if you are to combine all the status into one, how would a pie chart be useful to you then? 
Isn't it just going to a big blog of color saying the total count of however number of total issues that were in those 3 statuses. 

If you have scriptRunner installed then you could created a Scripted Custom Field, and get the total count of JQL query result returned in that field.

(Im not sure about this) but I think the scripted field might not appear in fields section (as one of the statistics) on which you can create a pie chart against. 

Donovan Greeff August 13, 2019

If you combine different status' into one you can account for how different teams run their process to suit them. 

Some may run kanban, whilst others run scrum, a few on Lean, A team on waterfall. Each of these teams have their own needs for managing their processes. 

So I ask, how is such a unconfigurable chart useful to you then? 

I personally do not like such siloed viewpoints, JIRA is a massively popular tool, you WILL come across many different ways to do something. Stop trying to dictate their direction into what you believe is right. 

Like # people like this
Evgeniy
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 2, 2020

Hi

Hope, this will help

statusCategory = To Do  (Open)

statusCategory = In Progress  (in progress)

statusCategory = Done  (done)

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Questions/Re-Filtering-by-status-category/qaq-p/597720/comment-id/197867#M197867

Like Pankaj Katiyar likes this
Andrew Chawda March 23, 2023

Hi Udjin,

I want to create two dimension table using statusCategory field in Confluence dashboard...seems like this field is not available to use...any suggestion?

Suggest an answer