How do I group by labels on a scrum board into swimlanes?

Matthew Brand September 8, 2014

I would like to have dynamic scrumboard swimlanes that simply group by labels. I know I can create swimlanes with a JQL query and enter each label, but I would prefer to just have some sort of "group by" function that would just create a new swimlane any time a new label is created. Is there any way to do this?

2 answers

2 votes
Christoph August 16, 2019

I have the same problem.

Are the now (around 5 Years later) any functions how to solve this problem?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2019

Nope, no change!

Eugene April 18, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- is there a feature request for this?

We'd like the board to have swimlanes for Epics AND labels, so if something isn't allocated an Epic it could still be grouped in a swimlane with issues with the same label. 

Same interest found in this question/comments: 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Group-by-field-label/qaq-p/937663

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 8, 2014

I'm afraid not, there are a handful of "natural" groupings, and then the last option is the "JQL" one.  But the natural ones are hard-coded.

It is actually possible to add others, but I needed to hack core code for it - a minor tweak to add a new option to the list, but something a bit more complex for the grouping.  And, of course, it was still hard-coded.

Suggest an answer