How do I get the latest version of Atlassian Products from command line?

ChangJoon Lee February 19, 2015

Hi, folks,

I'm trying to write a script that upgrade Atlassian products automatically.

1. Retrieve latest release link.
  2. Stop service
  3. Decompress and rename
  4. Start Service

How can I retrieve the latest release version programatically?

I hope Atlassian had jira-latestrelease.tar.gz points to the latest one always, so I can use wget 

wget http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/download/latestbuild.tar.gz

Is there any suggestion?

Thank you in advance.

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2015

It's more complex than that.  

The download pages do some basic operating system detection and highlight the most appropriate download for you based on that.  Grabbing it via wget will get you different results.

Also, they do not do "latest", they keep the version numbers, so you'll need to write a simple "find out what latest version is available".

Most importantly though, what you're proposing here is a potential nightmare.  One does not simply "upgrade Atlassian products automatically".  Sometimes, the process can be a simple stop/download/start.  Most of the time, it is not.

ChangJoon Lee February 19, 2015

I've been using JIRA at least 5 years from now, as well as Confluence, Stash and Fisheye. So far, I never had problem with "Stop/Change/Start" procedure. Simply, it was painful to copy and paste links from web browser. This is detail procedure what I do. 1. Go to www.atlassian.com/software/{jira,confluence,stash,fisheye}/download 2. Get tar.gz 3. Open terminal 4. wget tar.gz 5. inflate tar.gz 6. chown -R installation-dirs 7. stop service 8. remove old symlink 9. create new symlink to inflated dirs from above. 10. start service. For the last 3 or 5 years while upgrading every minor and major versions, I never had any other problem with this procedure. I'm very curious that what your problem for the most of the time was.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2015

I've seen all sorts of problems with this approach. Over the last 10 years, almost every job I've had has been based on "please clean up the mess made by an attempt at a quick upgrade" or "please clean up the mess made by having too many admins". The errors are legion. Now, with more recent versions, Atlassian are getting there. Point releases can be ok. Fisheye and Stash are usually ok with an automatic update. But Jira and Confluence major versions - I've never seen an upgrade that has "just worked", unless they were totally clean systems (no addons, no hacks or tweaks)

0 votes
Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2015

You might also have a look at this: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/205705

Suggest an answer