How do I get replies to @mentions to create comments on the issue

Tim Long March 2, 2014

Hi Atlassians. I have a Jira project where I frequently need to get information from third parties. Typically I'll use the @mention feature in a comment to get Jira to email them for me.

I've realise it can save me a lot of time if Jira handles the reply emails for me. I want the user to be able to click Reply and have their reply added as a comment on the original issue.

It seems like this should be possible, and all the pieces seem to be in place in Jira. I've been able to configure the IMAP integration with our exchange server and Jira sees the emails, all good. However, Jira sends the @mention notification email out with the reply-to address set to the user who made the @mention, so the reply goes directly to the user instead of the project's mailbox, so Jira never sees the reply.

So near and yet so far! How can I persuade Jira to send @mentions using the project mailbox as the reply-to address?

Thanks,

Tim

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Tim Long March 15, 2014

An Atlassian support representative has confirmed that what I want to do is not currently possible.

It is suggested that users look at JRA-30852 and JRA-31470 and vote on one or both issues.

Aaron Mosny May 13, 2014

I really hope they fix this... My team needs mention email replies as comments ASAP!

1 vote
Satyendra Narwane
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 3, 2014

Hi Tim Long,

You can add the email Id to the project Notification Schem & when user click on replay the mail will be send to the provided mail Id & also you need to configure Incoming mail handler i.e.

Settings and select following

Tim Long March 3, 2014

The fundamental problem is that Jira doesn't use the address that is configured in the notification scheme. When I @mention a user, the email comes FROM the project's mailbox, but Jira sets the REPLY-TO address to be the user who made teh @mention. Therefore, when the user clicks reply, the reply goes to the user instead of the project mailbox. I can't see how to override that behaviour.

I am going to raise this with Atlassian Support and see what they can come up with.

0 votes
Satyendra Narwane
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2014

Are you using Exchange as mail server?

We have the same problem and I found this article that should solve it:https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/How+to+Set+Up+SMTP+Relay+in+Exchange+2007

Suggest an answer