How do I get notified by email every time a new task is added to a JIRA project?

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
July 17, 2017

I searched for this but could not find an answer. I want to be notified (via email) every time a new task is added to our JIRA project. I don't want to follow every single task, but want to be aware of when there is something new that has been added.  What is the best way for me to do this?

(@Peter Van de Voorde suggested this could be done through a search subscription but I'm not sure how to set this up and could use some pointers. Peter is on vacation so I turn to the community.)

Thanks for any help!

4 answers

3 accepted

9 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2017

Two options:

1.  Get the admins to change the project setup such that there's a role that gets notified on "create" events.  Then put you in that role!

2.  A subscription is available if you search for issues, save the filter and then click on "details" near the top.  A subscription will email you a list of matching issues regularly.  So you could do something like "Created > -20m" ("Issues created after 20 minutes ago" is the English description) and subscribe to it on a 15 minute loop.  There's a nice option for "don't mail me unless you find at least one issue" in there, so you won't get 4 empty emails an hour.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
July 17, 2017

Okay, I found the Subscription area under Details and set up a daily subscription without the empty emails :)  

I'll report back on the results. Thanks @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-!

Monique vdB
Community Manager
July 22, 2017

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- this is working great for me, thank you! I have it set to send it daily and that is fine for my needs.

Like Ciara likes this
2 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 17, 2017

The subscription method to accomplish this would be the most configurable, but it would not provide real-time results.  The subscriptions in JIRA are just running a saved filter search to find issues in JIRA, and then emailing the results to a user/group at a set interval.

First you need to create a JQL filter and save it in JIRA.   I imagine your filter will likely want to look something like this:

project=xyz and issuetype=Task and created >= -1d order by created desc

This would find all the issues of that type in that project created within the last 1 day.   Once you have that, you can then create a subscription to that specific saved filter.  Steps on how to do this are in Receiving Search Results via Email - Atlassian Documentation

I would suggest setting the interval for this subscription to be equal to the time period in your JQL filter (ie in this case 1 day).  That way you should get an email everyday from JIRA with just the issues that meet the criteria of that JQL search at that time.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
July 17, 2017

Thanks @Andy Heinzer, another great answer. I will try this on the other JIRA project I need to subscribe to and see how it goes!

Mary Murphy February 23, 2018

Worked like a charm over here...so much so the whole department wants in! Thanks @Andy Heinzer for answer and @Monique vdB for asking.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
February 23, 2018

Yep, I'm still using this and it's great! Thanks for letting us know it worked for you. 

Ian Walker November 8, 2018

@Andy Heinzer, I came across this answer and I have some questions please.

I want to do the same thing, but when new Bugs are raised instead and I want to be emailed immediately when that happens - is that possible?

Would the query syntax now look like this?

project=xyz and issuetype=Bug and created = now() order by created desc

I would then set up an email subscription for this filter to a group of users of my choice, but what would the email subscription frequency be? 

I don't see how I can be emailed immediately whenever a new bug is raised on my JIRA board, unless there is some trick to it?  Email subscription frequency doesn't have 'Immediate' as an option.

How would I also ensure that each time I got emailed it wasn't just the same list of bugs over and over (i.e. subscription frequency is every 15 minutes)?  I just want to be alerted of new bugs only.

Many thanks.

Ian

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2018

> I want to be emailed immediately when that happens 

This is what the notification changes given in the original answer does. 

Andrew's answer gives you the additional option of subscriptions, which are a bit more flexible about what you can subscribe to, but only on an interval and gives you a collection of issues which may overlap, as you'd probably want to say "created in last 16 minutes" to avoid missing any in a 15 minute loop.

I think you need to simply adjust your notification scheme for the project - that gives you one email per event, "instantly" (at least it's added into the email queue within a second of it happening)

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kelsey Smith May 20, 2021

Sharing an update here for anyone looking for a more recent answer! I was able to create a new Notification Scheme specific for the project I want certain users notified of new issues on. In the Notification scheme, you can add individual users to the Issue Created event notifications using the Single User option. Or you can add multiple users to a Group and add the Group to the event. Only admins can do this.

0 votes
Matt Levi August 10, 2018

So the current system for subscription emails based on a filter like this will continue to send me an email even if there's no change.

That's really not ideal, and I would like to know on an hourly basis, if not sooner.

Is it possible to have an option set for email subscriptions that DOES NOT send an email unless there's actually a new bug entered since the last time the subscription email was triggered?

I literally just want to be added as a "watcher" for jira tickets created in the future, and then removed as a watcher after I get that first email, essentially.

Utopian version would be I can just subscribe to emails at the project level. And choose what types of tickets I get emailed about (task/bug/epic/story/etc).

It's not ideal to have to get emails all day long to tell me nothing has changed.

Jess Sartin August 10, 2018

I agree that it would be great to have the feature of instant notification on tickets.

For the subscription option, there is a checkbox that says "Email this filter, even if there are no issues found". Does unchecking that meet your needs?

Monique vdB
Community Manager
August 10, 2018

@Jess Sartin and @Matt Levi I don't get emails unless there have been new issues created that day, and it's a daily digest. I think that checkbox Jess mentioned is what helped me not get empty emails. (That would be annoying!) 

It appears I did have that check box on.

So I've turned it back off and we'll see if it helps.

15 minute intervals is probably short enough for a normal response time to a ticket.

Though it would still be nice if this could just be set at the project level. Where the project receives tickets, and then checks if there are subscribers who would want to know immediately. Still on my wish list, but I can make due. :)

Thanks guys!

Like Jacob Johnson likes this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
August 10, 2018

Yay! :) 

So one downside I'm seeing is that it also continues to email me the same list of recent bugs if I have it sending me the recent bugs entered in the last hour, and the emails happen every 15 minutes.

If the emails could only query for new additions, and maybe even hide old ones for each iteration of the email that would help.

We just went through several bugs that came down to the wire before a release we're doing literally right now.

And I kept having to delete emails because it wasn't telling me anything new, and I made the mistake of asking for them in 15 minute intervals. :D

Monique vdB
Community Manager
August 10, 2018

@Matt Levi 🙃 Oops! Hopefully @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- will have a refinement for you that will make this more helpful. 

Ste
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 11, 2019

^ Just for anyone who comes across this question, it's beneficial to have your search query and your subscription time period match.

The subscription fires if it finds at least one issue in the query. So for example, you ask the subscription to send you an email every 15 minutes but build a query to look for issues created within the last hour - you would receive an email with each issue in four times, because the query continues to pick up those issues.

Also if you'd like to make it more / less than 15 minutes, subscriptions (now) allow you to set their time period using a Cron expression (choose Advanced), so you could make it send them every 13 minutes or similar, if your team has an SLA it needs to meet.

Ste

Like Monique vdB likes this
Richard Meadows July 24, 2019

Another approach to consider if you have Slack is to set up a Slack channel, create a JQL query similar to this project=xx and issuetype in(X,Y,Z) - This can then be used in conjunction with the Slack integration in JIRA as a create event.. This will then post to the Slack channel.. You get notification immediately whenever a new issue is created.

Like Monique vdB likes this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
July 25, 2019

@Richard Meadows this is a really cool idea, I'm going to see if we can try this!

Suggest an answer