How do I get an epic's issues to move when I move the epic to a new project?

Will August 17, 2015

When I move an epic to a new project the issues do not move to the new project.  The issues remain in the original project view.   How do I get the epic's issues to move to the new project when I move the epic?

6 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Kristina McInerny August 15, 2018

I realize this is an older post, but there didn't seem to be enough information to solve the aforementioned problem, so here you go:

1) Retrieve a list of all issues of a certain Epic.
2) Run Tools > Bulk Change > Move Issues and select new project BUT the new project needs to have the same or similar issuetypes already set up. 

In our case, we have a string of 'custname' we have inserted on each Epic and issuetype within that Epic. So all I have to do is create a filter for project = abc AND summary ~ 'custname' to bring up a list (I also added status = Closed because I only move closed issuetypes to the target Project)

If you don't have a constant among your Epics and corresponding issues, you will have to filter search for all items using the Key or Epic link.

Again - you need to have corresponding issuetypes and workflows to move 1 to 1 or else select the new issuetype/status when selecting Move.

2 votes
Answer accepted
DavidM August 27, 2015

Use this JQL 

key = JRA-1000 OR "Epic Link" = JRA-1000

and then use the Bulk edit capability to move them. You'll have to specify the project and issue type for each of the issues you move, plus for any subtasks involved, but it's a bit faster than moving them separately.

Swati_Dubey October 30, 2018

where?

Deleted user November 23, 2020

yeah where?

wbuckingham February 9, 2021

Click Search Icon

then click Advanced Search

Switch from basic to JQL

paste and update the JQL above

then in the top right click the more *** dots

click bulk change

then you get check boxes to pick which to bulk change

perform your move as you would any other bulk change

return to serach page with no results (presuming you moved all matches)

go to new project and find your storys/etc there along with the epic and connected

2 votes
Rodrigo Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 25, 2015

Hello Will,

If you are moving an epic, the 'Move Issue' wizard will not move the issues in the epic. The epic and the issues in the epic will still be linked to each other, but the issues in the epic will remain in the original project. You will need to move them separately.

Regards,

Rodrigo Rosa

Mike Rowe April 17, 2019

Major miss by JIRA on this one...  :(

Like # people like this
Erwin Vrolijk February 26, 2020

I fout this to not be true. I just moved an epic in a new-gen project to an other next gen project by using the move issue option and the links to the issues in the epic are all gone...

Kristina McInerny March 2, 2020

I think you two are saying the same thing.  If you move just an Epic, the issuekey and issue still remain with the original Epic.  See my instructions from Aug 15, 2018 on how to move them all using Bulk Change if using Server. 

To use Bulk Change is in Next Gen, here is a helpful article. https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Core-questions/How-do-you-make-bulk-changes-in-next-gen-Jira/qaq-p/1122313

2 votes
Will August 17, 2015

Sorry for the miscommunication. I do want to move an epic to a different project and have the associated issues move with it to the new project. When I have moved an epic the issues continue to display in the original project and not in the new project. I can move the epic then move the issues separately to have them show in the new project but I was hoping there was a way to move all of it in one step. I hope this is clearer.

0 votes
Pilar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2015

Your question is unclear, can you pls explain clearly. btw, you cannot move an entire project anyway, so iam sure there is some mis-communication. Pilar

0 votes
Mike Friedrich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2015

Do you mean you move an epic to a new project?

Suggest an answer