How do I get an epic's issues to move when I move the epic to a new project?

When I move an epic to a new project the issues do not move to the new project.  The issues remain in the original project view.   How do I get the epic's issues to move to the new project when I move the epic?

6 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Use this JQL 

key = JRA-1000 OR "Epic Link" = JRA-1000

and then use the Bulk edit capability to move them. You'll have to specify the project and issue type for each of the issues you move, plus for any subtasks involved, but it's a bit faster than moving them separately.

Do you mean you move an epic to a new project?

Your question is unclear, can you pls explain clearly. btw, you cannot move an entire project anyway, so iam sure there is some mis-communication. Pilar

Sorry for the miscommunication. I do want to move an epic to a different project and have the associated issues move with it to the new project. When I have moved an epic the issues continue to display in the original project and not in the new project. I can move the epic then move the issues separately to have them show in the new project but I was hoping there was a way to move all of it in one step. I hope this is clearer.

Hello Will,

If you are moving an epic, the 'Move Issue' wizard will not move the issues in the epic. The epic and the issues in the epic will still be linked to each other, but the issues in the epic will remain in the original project. You will need to move them separately.

Regards,

Rodrigo Rosa

I realize this is an older post, but there didn't seem to be enough information to solve the aforementioned problem, so here you go:

1) Retrieve a list of all issues of a certain Epic.
2) Run Tools > Bulk Change > Move Issues and select new project BUT the new project needs to have the same or similar issuetypes already set up. 

In our case, we have a string of 'custname' we have inserted on each Epic and issuetype within that Epic. So all I have to do is create a filter for project = abc AND summary ~ 'custname' to bring up a list (I also added status = Closed because I only move closed issuetypes to the target Project)

If you don't have a constant among your Epics and corresponding issues, you will have to filter search for all items using the Key or Epic link.

Again - you need to have corresponding issuetypes and workflows to move 1 to 1 or else select the new issuetype/status when selecting Move.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

264 views 1 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you