How do I get all project data from a JIRA 4.3.2 server to a different server with JIRA Software?

Cale Winebrenner December 4, 2015

We have an old JIRA 4.3.2#616-r148546 server, and are moving to the newer JIRA Software / 7.x. How can I get all of the data from a (one or more) project(s) on the old server into one or more projects on the new server? We don't want to lose comments, attached files, etc.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 4, 2015

I assume this is a "merge?"  The JIRA 7 server already has active data in it?

Export the 4.3 stuff to XML and use that to create a temporary development 4.3 server.  Delete as much as you can, removing any project you know you don't want to carry across.  Upgrade that server to JIRA 7.x.  Export the xml from there, then use "project import" to pull the issues in (bearing in mind you will have had to manually create the target projects with the right config)

If that sounds hard, yes, I'm afraid it is.  If you're willing to compromise on the "everything", you have some other options.  Or if the JIRA 7 is empty, then it's a lot easier - upgrade a copy of the 4.3 and make the upgraded one your production system afterwards. 

Cale Winebrenner December 9, 2015

Thank you, this seems to have gotten us the result we were looking for. I wanted to comment again with some follow-up, but since I just created the support/forum account it's blocking commenting OR posting more than once in 24 hours, until I get three points. Not very customer friendly, especially after verifying my email.

If you could vote my question up, so that I get a point, that'd be appreciated.

Suggest an answer