How do I get a list of active components in JIRA and export them?

JanaW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2015

We are deprecating a development tool we use and moving to JIRA. I would like to be able to get a list of active components in JIRA to compare to our dev tools components to make sure JIRA is updated with all that we need. How do I get a list of the active components in JIRA and then export them to excel?

5 answers

2 accepted

10 votes
Answer accepted
Michelle Rau good
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2019

I tried something a bit goofy but it worked surprisingly well for a simple list of components.

1. Created a filter for "all issues"
  2. Created a dashboard and added the Heat Map gadget
  3. In Heat Map gadget settings, 
    • Project/filter field = my "all issues" filter
    • Statistic type field = Components
  4. Save gadget settings and you should see the heat map in your dashboard. 
  5. With your mouse, select all the components in the heat map list, then copy (control+C)
  6. Paste into MS Word. I got a bullet list, one bullet for each component
  7. Format and sort the list as needed, then copy/paste into whatever (Excel, PPT, email, etc.)

I was able to use the heat map gadget to create a list of labels as well.

Updated: This technique would give only the components actually used in issues included in the filter (assuming that's what the original question meant by "active", or "in active use"). 

Updated again:  Please note, this is a "quick and dirty" technique rather than a more structured query or view. See the other answers for more "official" solutions.

JanaW
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 16, 2019

Thanks Michelle! Appreciate the answer.

Like Mani_Pajouh likes this
Mani_Pajouh March 13, 2019

Thank you! It works! 

Amit Gala July 12, 2019

Thank you. Super helpful.

Steven Rhodes March 10, 2020

@Michelle Rau good It does indeed work, but the components are not ordered and the formatting means when I paste, it also looks like a heat map retaining formatting, or without formatting all on one line. I have 131 components in one project, some of which have spaces in the title which makes the task of sorting it harder.

Michelle Rau good
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 2, 2020

That is true @Steven Rhodes , I used MS Word to strip the formatting and sort the list in alphabetical order. It's true this is a "quick and dirty" technique rather than a more structured query or view.

Oxana Stoupakova June 9, 2020

Thanks, Michelle. Works like a charm! 

Like Michelle Rau good likes this
Geetanjali Verma February 15, 2021

Super helpful and easy! 

Like Michelle Rau good likes this
2 votes
Answer accepted
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 17, 2015

getComponentList from JIRA Command Line Interface (CLI) produces a csv file that can be imported into Excel. Use with runFromProjectList to collect information from multiple projects into a single csv file.

JanaW
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 18, 2015

Thank you Bob:)

4 votes
Priyanka Lavania
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 19, 2016

Hi Jana,

There is another easy and economic way of doing the same. you can run below JQL:

component is not EMPTY

Above will result in all the issues which are using the component, post which you can export the issue result in an excel and remove duplicates(data->remove duplicates), by this you will have a list of unique components currently in use.

If you want to list out all the components in JIRA Project, then you can simply navigate to the project->Overview->Components

It will list all the components which you can simply copy and paste in an excel. you will have the entire component list.

Hope this helps.

Balvant Gmail October 9, 2018

some extent it is ok, but what about if 500+ projects?

Thanks anyway.

Like JanaW likes this
JanaW
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 16, 2019

Appreciate the answer but we too have A LOT of projects which makes it more difficult. But more importantly, I don't just want to see those that are being used, but those that are NOT as well so that we can remove them or question if they are still valid. It does however get me closer than I was when I posted this question:) Thanks for your time.

1 vote
Reva Tolliver April 26, 2021

I used Confluence  and put a two-dimensional filter in there with the following query:  Component is not empty.  I also filtered by project and issue type but that is optional.
I then saved and exported the page to Word, instant beautiful table to be used anywhere I needed it.  

Note:  This renders very well for large numbers of issues.  There are over 47k issues in my filter.  Good luck!

0 votes
Deleted user April 18, 2019

Another way to access all of the components in a project or projects is to conduct a basic search in issue navigator.

Go to your search bar and type issue navigator and hit return/search - see image below

issue navigator.JPG

Once in issue navigator use the basic search and do the following:

1. Select your project from the left hand side, or select all projects in your organization where it says Project: All
  2. Over on the more section, select component as a search criteria (you may have to search for it) - see image below

select component.JPG

• Notice under Project: All there is a new drop-down listing all components
    (far left of image below)
  • Just grab this drop-down and you're all set - there are your components currently used somewhere in the project or projects you've selected. - see figure below

components.JPG

Hope this helps!

Priyanka Lavania
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2019

Not sure how it will list Components that are not used in any issue (basically won't pull inactive components)

Deleted user April 18, 2019

The query mentioned above pulls a holistic list of components, used or not used on any issue type. If created, it will populate in this list. In fact, if you had a project with no issues and only components, the query will render results, those of which are the components that exist within the project.

Like Priyanka Lavania likes this
Priyanka Lavania
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2019

Ah so it will only populate the list of components to select from, not the search result.

Manually need to write down the components. again a tedious task if there are 100s or 1000s of components. But for few it is a good solution.

JanaW
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 9, 2020

Appreciate all the suggestions but those are steps I had done before posting the question and should of stated that so not to waste others time.

I would like to see Atlassian offer an easy way for an administrator to either generate a report or export active components, including those that are not actively used in projects. It's a way for us to 1) identify a holistic component's list, but also archive those not being used. It would also be nice to view or generate a report that lists components and then the project that uses them. This would be helpful when a name of a component needs to change/renamed, it would be an easy way then to quickly identify and go to the project to update the component name there.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer