How do I get Epic Name field to show on screen?

barbara t January 25, 2017

Spent an hour trying to figure this out. Please help!

I want a Story to be able to add the field "Epic Name" when creating it.

I've checked every configuration and it properly shows Epic Name field on the list (add, edit, delete, default).

Also checked every  Issue Type, Issue Type Scheme, Screen, Screen Scheme, Issue Type Screen Theme.

When I try to create a Story and "where's my field", the error returned is:

"The field 'Epic Name' is not configured in scope of the project 'xyz' and issue type 'Story' 
To solve this issue, go to 'Epic Name' configuration page and add it to the scope"

After clicking this it still does not work and nothing to do on this page ..../secure/admin/ConfigureCustomField!default.jspa?customFieldId=10008

I don't recall ever making a custom field "Epic Name", assume it should be default in Jira.

2 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Alina Fecheta
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2017

Hello

The Epic Name is only defined for the Epic issuetype. If you want a Story to show the Epic's name in which it is included, add the Epic Link field to the screens.

You can read more about Epics here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/agile/jira-agile-user-s-guide/working-with-epics

barbara t January 25, 2017

Thank you Alina! YOu're a lifesaver! 

Kyle Johnson February 28, 2018

This is what I have been trying to find for hours! Thank you!

Mariza Ghizzoni March 4, 2020

Hello, but if I extract in csv format I lost the name of the epic because I find (naturally) only the epid id!

Like # people like this
Chase_Brantley May 1, 2020

I am having the same issue. Can anyone help with this?

Jeff Roberts July 21, 2020

Yes, I need the epic name (not the epic ID) in an export of filter results as well. Is this possible yet?

Tehmina Aslam March 29, 2022

I Don't find any way yet. but searching...

0 votes
John Cobbs October 26, 2022

The Epic Name field can only be displayed on issues that have the Epic Issue Type.

Here is a link to Atlassian's KB on this topic. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/epic-name-vs-epic-link-779158632.html

Suggest an answer