How do I generate multiple copies of epics and stories?

Emily Livermore September 6, 2017

My company does a lot of work where the actual work itself is the same, but it's repeated in various locations. I'd like to be able to create a template of an Epic and its associated Stories and then mass duplicate all the issues. A bonus would be the ability to determine how many times I duplicate the issues. 

I just installed the JIRA Issue Template Plug-in hoping that would do the trick, but so far no luck. 

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
Justin Evans
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 7, 2017

I've approached this a couple different ways in the past.

If your needs are pretty straightforward, you could create a .CSV file with all the relevant information and use JIRA's native CSV importer. Any time you need to bulk-create, just use the same template file.

If you have to perform complex actions like carry over attachments or link new issues to existing issues then ClonePlus or a solution like Power Scripts makes more sense.

0 votes
Brian Jones
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2017

Emily,

I know there is a feature request here that has been around for a while for this very option, i would vote and watch that. You might try Clone Plus to see if it would do this as well. I have used it in the past to clone parents and subtasks, just not sure if it works for Epics on down.

I hope that helps. 

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2017

Cloning a normal issue should already clone all sub-tasks though... What's the use for Clone Plus there?

Emily Livermore September 6, 2017

Thanks, Brian. I'll try ClonePlus and see if it will clone linked stories!

Brian Jones
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2017

Clone plus lets you pick which fields to copy, lets you copy to a different issue type and project, and other options as well. 

Suggest an answer