How do I generate API token from backend?

M S April 18, 2019

as you know, jira is changing their authentication method, if you want to integrate your app with jira which is hosted on their own cloud you are not allowed to use old user credential like username  and password and you have to use `API KEY` instead.

this is a documentation how to create API KEY for my self:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/api-tokens-938839638.html

but, let say I am creating an application an I want to integrate my application with Jira how can I find this `API KEY`? how can I generate this for user in backend?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2019

Hello,

You should create this API token and use your user name and password with Basic authentication during your rest calls.

API token replaces your password, that is all. 

You can generate an API token only for your user, you cant generate this token for another user. 

Usually if you write an integration, all integrations are done under an integration user, not under the user, who executes the rest call. That is why create a new user for integration, generate an API token for the user and use this token in your software.

Suggest an answer