Thanks. It seems that some of files became corrupt, we suspect this may have occurred during an windows update process, don’t know for sure. We were unable to delete files but we were able to move the directory to a new location and that solved the problem. I did check the permissions on the folder and the application does have access now.
Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs