How do I filter to see all subtasks in a project for a given parent issue type?

Johan June 16, 2014

My Jira project has 4 issue types (e.g. Product Specification), and 3 subtask types (e.g. PMO Task). Any of the 4 issue types can contain zero or more of any of the subtask types.

I'd like to create a filter to see all the subtasks of a given (subtask type, parent issue type) tuple.

E.g. I may want to see all the "PMO Task"s that have ever been created for "Product Specification"s (thus filtering out all the "PMO Task"s that have been created for, e.g. "Development Deliverable" parent tasks.

How do I do that?

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 16, 2014

Hey Johan,

Currently, it is not available inside JIRA. However, I have raised a JIRA request for this, which you can find here - JRA-38798

I would recommend that you do the following on the feature request ticket :

• Vote, so that it will receive more attention
  • Watch it, so that you will receive any and all updates
  • Comment, and give your opinion on the matter

Please note that the implementation of new features and improvement requests falls under Atlassian's Implementation of New Features Policy.

Johan June 16, 2014

Thanks! Done.

Svante Gustafsson Björkegren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2014

I have voted also!

1 vote
Svante Gustafsson Björkegren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2014

Hi Johan,

NOTE: This post is purely my personal opinion and not an objective comparison of the plugins :-)

If you are to convince someone about a plugin solving your described issue I personally would recommend the ScriptRunner!

Two reasons actually:

• It is still free and I have the feeling that it will stay this way, at least for the core functions. Maybe i am wrong but even if it turns into a paid plugin it will be worth it because of my second reason
  • The ScriptRunner is a Swiss army-knife! It has so many great functions and I use it more or less all the time. As a JIRA consultant it is the first thing I look for with a new customer. I don't understand how to live without it. It makes my day so much easier.

The two other plugins mentioned are also good plugins. I have used them both with great result but they are not just as versatile as the ScriptRunner.

Cheers,

// Svante

Vijay Khacharia
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 17, 2014

Liked the bit with Swiss army-Knife :) Sure Script runner is THE plugin I use the most as an administrator of JIRA right now. That was the reason I placed as first option.

1 vote
Vijay Khacharia
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 16, 2014

Hi,

You may use the ScriptRunner Plugin.

issueFunction in subtasksOf("sub query here returns all parent tasks")

But disclaimer says it will be paid plugin soon.

Another option thats already paid plugin is :

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/org.craftforge.jira.craftforge-jql-functions-plugin

Vijay

Johan June 16, 2014

Thanks Vijay, practically how do I do that - do I just copy & paste the code you quoted into the JQL field? Or does issueFunction stand for something I need to fill in? It looks like a promising approach. I work in a midsize corporate, so don't control the plugins that are allowed, but it may already be installed.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 16, 2014

To expands - this should be:

issueFunction in subtasksOf("issuetype = MyParentType") and issuetype = MySubTaskType

So the first clause will find all the subtasks of the particular parent type you care about, then filter further to the subtask type you care about.

Yes, you paste than in the advanced JQL editor.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 16, 2014

> But disclaimer says it will be paid plugin soon.

True, but it's said that for around 2 years now.

Vijay Khacharia
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 22, 2014

Hi Johan,

This is from Script runner plugin. Can you check with JIRA Admin if it is installed?

Vijay

Johan June 22, 2014

Thanks! Unfortunately I get this: "Field 'issueFunction' does not exist or you do not have permission to view it." Which I suspect means my company hasn't got that plugin installed.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 16, 2014

Another option is JQL Tricks plugin (Paid). See http://www.j-tricks.com/jqlt-subtask-functions.html

Johan June 16, 2014

Thanks! Unfortunately we don't seem to have that plugin installed. Working at a corporate, I don't have control over this aspect of Jira config.

0 votes
Johan June 16, 2014

The closest I have come is an advanced filter with JQL that references the "parent" field, but that is a dead end because that field only contains the unique key of the parent task, not its type. Unless there's some way to look up the type based on the key (in a subquery), and then filter on that?

Suggest an answer