How do I filter out Running Tickets and Future Sprints from an Issue Query?

Tim Schubach August 18, 2017

I inherited an Excel application that accepts as input an HTML file downloaded from a JIRA Issues Query.  When the previous owner would run this process, one of the first things they did was to filter the Sprint column for Running Tickets and Future Sprints, delete those records, remove the filter, and move on.  The first thing I thought when I saw that was "Why can't we do that in the query?" ... so I tried it and added additional criteria to the query: ... and sprint not in ( <running tickets sprint #>, <future sprints sprint #>).  What I got was a really, really small subset of the ticktets that had passed through the rest of the criteria.

What I found out was that when I added the sprint numbers for Future Sprints and Running Tickets, the query excluded all tickets where the sprint was null - in addiiton to excluding all of the tickets that were assigned to a Future Sprint or were Running Tickets.

Can anyone explain why this is happening?  Does a ticket with no sprint automatically fit the definition of a Future Sprint, even if there is no sprint number associated with that ticket?

Many thanks.

0 answers

Suggest an answer