How do I export my project from the Jira ondemand and import it into my local instance?

Oliver Pereira July 22, 2012

Hi,

I want to export my project from the Jira ondemand and import it into my local instance so that we have one instance of Jira.

How do I go about doing that?

2 answers

0 votes
Oliver Pereira July 23, 2012

The backup is from the ondemand version and it contains version 0.23 of the plugin and is lower than my local version.

And it's the same for the rest of the plugins.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2012

You could temporarily downgrade the plugin to the version it wants, then re-upgrade them afterwards.

I think this is to do with the setup though - if you are only importing a *project* and not a whole import, then Jira expects both systems to be absolutely the same, including the versions of plugins (at least the ones used by the project).

On the other hand, I'd work through each class of error and see if it actually matters. The participants and number-of-comments fields are both derived fields, so even if there's an error with them, they should function fine after the import (worst case, re-index the system after import, but you shouldn't need it). I don't know about the Bonfire ones, but I'd suspect the same.

Oliver Pereira July 23, 2012

I will try the downgrade option as it won't allow me to import as the import button is disabled.

Oliver Pereira July 29, 2012

I removed the 2 plugins and managed to import the project data successfully and then I re-installed the 2 plugins..

The only pain is there is no option to import the project settings like screens, schemes etc. and hence it took a very long time to re-create the settings manually on the local JIRA instance.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2012

The problem is you are importing just the projects. If you import everything, you will get settings as well. You can then delete the unwanted projects.

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2012
Oliver Pereira July 22, 2012

Thanks..

I am getting some errors like the following.. I would have thought the import should work because our instance of jira is higher than the ondemand instance?

The backup project 'Apollo Leasing' requires custom field named 'No. of comments' with full key 'com.atlassian.jira.toolkit:comments'. In the current instance of JIRA the plugin is at version '0.25', but in the backup it is at version '0.23'.
The backup project 'Apollo Leasing' requires custom field named 'Participants' with full key 'com.atlassian.jira.toolkit:participants'. In the current instance of JIRA the plugin is at version '0.25', but in the backup it is at version '0.23'.
The backup project 'Apollo Leasing' requires custom field named 'Raised During' with full key 'com.atlassian.bonfire.plugin:bonfire-session-cft'. In the current instance of JIRA the plugin is at version '2.3.1', but in the backup it is at version '2.2.3'.
The backup project 'Apollo Leasing' requires custom field named 'Test Session(s)' with full key 'com.atlassian.bonfire.plugin:bonfire-multi-session-cft'. In the current instance of JIRA the plugin is at version '2.3.1', but in the backup it is at version '2.2.3'.

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 22, 2012

It is complaining about th plugin version, not JIRA version. Upgrade all your plugins to the latest version in local JIRA and you should be fine.

Suggest an answer