How do I export issues data in XML from Cloud Jira for analysis

The cloud version of JIRA does not have any option to backup in XML - is there another way to export all the issue  data in XML format for analysis?

2 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Eh?  Run a search and click on the "xml" option if you want a sub-set of the data, but as you say you want everything, I think the "export" option at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/Cloud/Import+and+export+data will give you everything.

No, I'm sorry but the link simply goes back to the backup option, which is a backup zip file in a proprietary format, not in XML. The question I was asking was if there was a way to obtain that data in an XML based format - without having to run a bunch of separate queries......

This widget could not be displayed.

No, I'm sorry but the link simply goes back to the backup option, which is a backup zip file in a proprietary format, not in XML.

The question I was asking was if there was a way to obtain that data in an XML based format - without having to run a bunch of separate queries......

The backup is xml, so I'm not sure what you're reading. Granted, it's laid out in a way that is better suited for system transfer than for issue reading, but it's still xml, and it's still everything. It's also your only option on Cloud (other than doing many queries) Your best option here is probably to think about your "data analysis" and work out if you can do it in JIRA.

OK - my fault I should've looked a bit closer - on second reading there is XML, but there are also a number of binary files - attachments no doubt. The XML is pretty obscure, I looked at the activeobjects.xml and at first glance it appears to contain a lot of stuff relating to github storage, plugins and other stuff not directly linked to this Jira instance - the entities.xml contains more useful data, probably what I need, but - my goodness! - it is in a pretty convoluted structure. I may go back to making queries.....

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

144 views 2 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you