How do I estimate stories?

Jon Cooper July 21, 2016

I am using JIRA Cloud, specifically JIRA Software. 

Would like to put story point estimates on my stories. Have selected story point estimation in the board config. But for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to put an estimate on a story. What am I missing here? 

(Editing the issue and selecting "where is my field?" does not offer me anything to do with estimates.)

Configure_Board_-_JIRA.png

DW_board_-_Agile_Board_-_JIRA.png

Where_is_my_field__-_JIRA.png

1 answer

1 vote
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2016

Do you have the "Story Points" custom field in your project screen schemes (Create, View, Edit Screen)? Also, add "Time Tracking" for you to add time estimation aside from Story points.

Jon Cooper July 21, 2016

What is a project screen scheme? I have to custom configure something to estimate a story? I think we'll switch back to Pivotal Tracker. Thanks anyway.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2016

JIRA has complexity like this because it's immensely flexible.  While the defaults are something you can "pick up and use", you do need to put a little effort into understanding it if you want to get the benefits of its flexibility.

In this case, Story Points are something that only belong to standard Scrum issue types, and tasks are not one of those.  If you do want to Story Point tasks (which is a perfectly reasonable thing to do in my opinion, as I usually see them as "stories by a different name" rather than something outside Scrum), then it's a 20 second change, but you do need to have a grasp of that particular part of JIRA

If you do decide to give it another go, it's Admin -> Issues -> Custom fields -> (find Story Points) -> Configure -> Context, and change the context from "epic and story" to "epic, story, task and other issue types you could use it on"

Suggest an answer