How do I estimate my licence requirements

I am trying to budget for the number of licences that I might need for JIRA Service Desk. I estimate the support desk, and ancillary support staff will total about 35 people. I am therefore looking at 26 - 50. These will be internal engineers supporting 'external customers'.

If our external customers want to utilise the portal I am assuming that they too will also need a licence, which needs to be added to the count. However, a colleague thinks they have read somewhere that a 'client view' could be achieved without licencing. This might be acceptable for the customer portal in the first instance.

Can someone give me a steer on this please so I can make a realistic estimate of our true licence requirements.

Our development team (who make up about 25 of the above 35) will have a JIRA account anyway. So if we have a number of JIRA licenses do I also need licenses for each licenced JIRA user to also use JIRA Service Desk?

Thanks in anticipation.

1 answer

1 vote
Jack Brickey Community Champion Nov 08, 2016

Steve,

you only need to pay for licenses for your "agents". Agents are those individuals that will actively work on the JSD tickets. Whether or not the "ancillary support staff" fall into the "Agent" category or not depends on if you want them to be assigned JSD tickets directly. Example, in my world I use JIRA SW for all product development activities (features, bugs, etc) and JSD to process all customer requests. I have a small team of agents (4) that will process customer requests and if a product issue exists then they will open a product issue in JIRA SW for the specific product in question. As licensed JSW user they can collaborate (comments, browsing) on the JSD issue but cannot own the JSD item.

Based upon what you state above I would say you are looking at 10 JSD agents feeding 25 JSW users.

Customers accessing JSD do not require any paid licenses.

Hope this helps.

Jack,

That is a very clear answer, and from that I can now determine what I need. Many thanks for your help with this.

Regards

Steve

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Jira

Mission-critical battery manufacturer fulfills FAA software requirements with Commit Policy Plugin

EaglePicher Technologies is a leading manufacturer of battery systems for diverse industries like defense, aviation, space or medical. As they operate in highly regulated industries, keeping a clear ...

165 views 0 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you