How do I edit a user name?

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2014

The JIRA 6 notes say this:

Editable usernames — The second most requested feature, as determined by customer votes, is here! JIRA Administrators can now edit any username in the JIRA Internal Directory. Learn more...

The "Learn more..." link takes you to a page full of hits and cautions for JIRA developers.

But I can find no information on HOW to edit a user name.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2014

This new feature doesnot apply if you are using AD for user authentication.

0 votes
David G February 5, 2014

Here are the steps below:

1. Log in on an account with System Admin privileges
  2. Click the Cog Wheel in the upper right, select User Management. Or use shortcut g+g and type: Users
  3. Locate the user you wish to edit on the user list
  4. Click the Edit link in the Operations column on the right for that user
  5. Edit the Username, Full Name, Email, and/or Active checkbox, click Update when done

Changing the capitalization of a name doesn't appear to save if that is the only change being made. You can add a 1 on the end (or any other modification), save it, then edit it a second time with the proper case and remove the 1.

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2014

I am an admin. I also tried logging in with the "sysadmin" account. There is no Edit Link in the Operations column.

I'm guessing that since we user AD to manage users this new feature does not apply to us.

David G February 5, 2014

In that case, you could use the Script Runner addon by Jamie Echlin. There is a built in script for chaning the Username.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.onresolve.jira.groovy.groovyrunner

After installing Script Runner and re-indexing, go to your JIRA Addons admin section. There will be a new set of links on the left side under SCRIPT RUNNER. Click on Builtin Scripts. On the page that loads, select the 'Renames a user ID' script. This was how we updated usernames prior to JIRA adding the editor.

Please note this is only available for 'Download' versions of JIRA, and will not work for 'OnDemand'

Suggest an answer