How do I edit a custom field to represent a duration of time?

Nicole Williams April 16, 2018

I've created a field called "Estimated Completion Time" that I need to represent a duration (hours) of time that we believe it should take to wrap up a task/project. I cannot figure how to edit the value to be a duration of time. Also, how do I configure this field to be available on all issue screens?

2 answers

0 votes
Nicole Williams April 17, 2018

Ultimately I want to have the fields "Estimated Completion Time" represented in hours and "Delivery Timeline" representing weeks.

0 votes
M Amine
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2018

Hi Nicole,

You can use the Numeric Custom Field. But perhaps you have other requirements. Can you please give more details?

"how do I configure this field to be available on all issue screens" => I will assume that you want to display the field in the "Creation" & "Modification" & "View" of the issue. 

So basically you have to : 

1. Create(or Use a default) Screen, in which you have to add your custom field
  2. Create (or Use a default) Screen Scheme of your screen (see 1.)
  3. Create (or Use a default) Issue type Screen Scheme that you will use in your project
  4. Make sure that the created custom field in no hidden in the field configuration your project uses

Here is a link to the official documentation.

cheers

Nicole Williams April 17, 2018

Hi Mohammad,

Thank you for your response! How can I differentiate between hours, days, and weeks within a field's value? I do have it set up as a numeric field but it will not recognize d, w, h. Also, the Available Context is setup as: Issue type(s):Global (all issues).

M Amine
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2018

I thought you wanted only to input hours. 

Have you tried to use the time tracking field? you can input estimation with h, d and w. 

Here is the documentation.

best regards

Suggest an answer