How do I duplicate a project template ?

Pierre Bosisio August 25, 2016

I have created a typical project with its standardized Epics, Stories and sub tasks. All these tasks represent waht we need to do at the most on a full fledged project. When a new project comes, I want to copy the template and give it a new project name, keeping all the tasks or taking all the tasks that might not be necessary.

I have not found ( after 10 minutes) a way to do that when I open a new project...  It must be somewhere...can you help ?

Thanks in advance 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Peter Geshev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2016

Hi Pierre,

Accoring to the JIRA Knowledge Base there is no native way to do that and you will have to use a third party plugin. You may try JIRA CLI as advised

Regards,
Peter 

0 votes
Avril Bower
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2016

Hi Pierre, 

Peter is correct there is not a way to do this out of the box. I have used script runner to do this based on component. When I choose Epic and the appropriate component a script will run to create the subtasks and stories and link them. Warning: this is slow. Depending on how many additional tasks you want created it can take 20 seconds or more to complete. Although this was working nicely in my test project, I didn't end up implementing it. The teams were not willing to deal with the slow process and the new script conflicted with another script in the workflow making both of them malfunction.

Good luck!

Avril 

Pierre Bosisio August 25, 2016

Hi Avril ,

I have a question though. I looked at the CLI web page and it seems to be compatible only for the JIRA server version and not JIRA Cloud..which I have. Is this correct ?

Thanks

Pierre

Avril Bower
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 25, 2016

CLI does have a Cloud version that was released in October 2015. Hope it works out for you! 

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/org.swift.jira.cli/versions 

Suggest an answer