How do I delete users who are associated to a ton of comments?

Isaac Myman January 16, 2015

I have 2 users who have left the company and I need to delete them from Jira. I was able to change anything they reported or were assigned to myself, but I cannot change the comments they authored. I need a way to either delete them without disassociating them or disassociate them in bulk. Any suggestions?

1 answer

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2015

You shouldn't delete those users. Just make them inactive using the "inactive" flag. That will revoke access to users and remove them from license count but the user will remain in the system for all the other good reasons!

Julie R January 19, 2018

Hi Jobin, I attempted to "create" a new user and it says that we have reached our limit, however we have "inactive" users still showing.  If we delete these inactive users, will their comments also go away? Thanks!

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2018

Inactive users are not counted against the license. So, deleting them won't help.

You will have to look at the active users to see if you can make any of then inactive, if you are already reaching the limit. The only other option is to upgrade to the next user tier.

Suggest an answer