How do I default Assignee based on Custom Field setting?

David Allen July 21, 2012

How do I default the Assignee of a newly created task based on the setting of a custom field? For example, we added the "platform" custom field (Android, PC, etc) and based on which field is selected for platform, we want the default assignee to be the person who handles that platform.

2 answers

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2012

In JIRA OnDemand, I don't think you have an option to do this.

You might want to create components for this instead of custom fields and ad component leads. If you do this, you can set the component field as default assignee.

David Allen July 21, 2012

The problem is this removes the purpose for components and "platform". We were using "Android" etc under components, but we then couldn't say "user interface" or "authentication" etc. This creates a bit of a conundrum for a multi-platform product. Granted the mobile versions of the applications are pretty simple overall compared to much more complex products there seems to be a deficiency in JIRA at allowing multi-platform projects with proper component use to have proper assignment resolution (i.e. allowing a default person based on platform rather than the component within that platform).

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2012

There are not other option in onDemand. You can go for the downloaded version if you forsee many customizations like this.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2012

Write some javascript that will pick up the changes on "platform" and adjust "assignee" appropriately.

It's that, or writing a custom field plugin that does it.

Suggest an answer