How do I customize screens by issue type?

Kevin Mancusi November 14, 2014

I am looking to set up specific, locked fields for different issue types that a User may create.  For example, I want to create a bug and only have the Assignee, Epic Link, Description, and Labels fields display.  But if I select Task, I want it to have Assignee and Description display.

Is there an easy way to customize screens per issue type? I feel like I've been going around in circles trying to follow Jira's instructions 

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2014

Yes, you use "issue type screen schemes".  See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Fields+and+Screens

Kevin Mancusi November 14, 2014

I hate to have my hand held, but I'm utterly lost with this. I think the differences between screens and screen schemes is throwing into the confusion. (-_-) Like, if I want to create a bug that has specific fields available, where would I first start?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2014

Well, mostly by following that document... I usually go in this order: 1. A screen is a collection of fields you want to present to the user at some point, so Add all the screens you want to use, thinking of View Create Edit (you can reuse screens, so if you want the same fields for edit and view, you only need 2 screens) 2. Create a "screen scheme". You'll need one of these for each variation in issue type A screen scheme says "when doing X, use screen Y", so this is where you say stuff like For view, use screen 1 For edit, use screen 1 For Create, use screen 2 3. Create an "issue type screen scheme" This maps issue types to the screen schemes above. So you say things like For bugs, use screen scheme A For features, use screen scheme B For improvements, use screen scheme B For all other issue types, use screen scheme C 4. Apply the issue type screen scheme to the project That's it really. Completely different setups by project and issue type.

Suggest an answer