How do I create multiple boards off of a single product backlog?

Kimball Hicks April 12, 2017

Hello, 

I'm looking for some help to better track and visualize our development work. Right now we have a single board that is pulling from our product backlog. We have multiple teams (UX, Dev & QA) all involved with the sprint and their work concludes at different points. For exmple, when our Devs complete an issue they place it in a status of "Ready for QA" and the issue sits there until it is picked up by our QA team and pushed through testing, staging, prod, Done. 

I'd like to be able to see a burndown chart that shows the Dev work completed from Open to Ready for QA (with Ready for QA being the point at which an issue is removed from the burndown chart) but currently the status does not change until it reaches Done which is the furthest right column on our board. 

My understanding is that a sprint issue is not removed from the burndown chart until it reaches the most right column on the board, so I was thinking creating multiple boards would help (1 for Dev, 1 for QA, etc.); however, i would need both to be able to pull from the same product backlog so that when the issue becomes "Ready for QA" the QA team can move it to their board. 

Is this possible? Any suggestions on how to accomplish the goal of tracking the workflows distinctly?

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Lynn Gariepy April 20, 2017

Hello, 

The burndown chart is preconfigured, so I create a custom jql to use for separate agile boards.

for the Devs agile board, create a board from this query: assignee was in (dev1, dev2) and status changed FROM "In progress" TO "Ready for QA" DURING ("2017/04/05","2017/04/18") or

project = projecta and status changed FROM "In progress" TO "Ready for QA" DURING ("2017/04/05","2017/04/18")

for the QAs agile board, create a board from this query: assignee was in (QA1, QA2) and status changed FROM "Ready for QA" TO "QA" DURING ("2017/04/05","2017/04/18")

Suggest an answer