How do I create groups of projects?

Kevin Broadey October 7, 2014

When I go to my main JIRA dashboard and click on Projects > View All Projects I get exactly that - an unstructured list of all projects.  I have projects for each customer we support, projects for each product we produce, and a few for process management e.g. QA.  What I'd like to be able to do is "tag" a project in some way and then be able to "View All Customer Projects" or "View All Product Projects".  I'd like to be able to add multiple tags so I can sub-group my customers and products in arbitrary ways e.g. "View All Car Parking Customer Projects" or "View All Web Server Product Projects".

How do I add attributes to so I can group projects, and how do I search on them?

Maybe the answer is already out there, but searching for "group" within the JIRA help base returns lots of info about user groups!

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2014

You could add a category to your project. The project can be sorted by their category. You even can do search for issues by the category.

see: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Defining+a+Project#DefiningaProject-configureConfiguringaproject

Kevin Broadey October 7, 2014

Thanks. That's the problem with English - too many words meaning roughly the same thing - attribute, category, group, lump, blob, flock, herd, gaggle, ... :-)

David Skreiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2016

Atlassian unfortunately has removed the option to sort by category, which means that e.g. if you have a category for old projects, they will be shown among all your current ones, alphabetically.

What you still can do is throw projects into groups, but these only do something if you click on them.

Black Order April 24, 2018

Hi David, how do you throw projects into group ?

luke_spencer October 10, 2018

Hi Black Order - did you ever find a solution to your question?

We are facing a similar issue

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2018

You use categories, as Udo said.

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 7, 2014

Use category.  You can define a list of different ones, put each project in one, then use "category in x, y, z" in searches

0 votes
Szilvia Képesi October 7, 2014

The project category is not edited in the Edit Project dialog. Instead, click the link next to the Category field (under the project name) on the project Administration page. Categories can be viewed/created via Administration > Projects > Project Categories.

Why are categories useful? JIRA can search for all the issues in a particular project category (e.g. category = "buildeng" in an advanced search), and can display projects sorted by the project category. A JIRA project can only belong to one category. Please note that a project category is not part of a project hierarchy. Also, JIRA does not support sub-projects or parent projects.

Suggest an answer