How do I create better custom reports in Jira?

Rebekah Wood March 10, 2021

How I create better custom reports in Jira outside of just dumping a bunch of data into Excel? I want to "beef up" the canned report options. Do I need a different Jira tool?

2 answers

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 10, 2021

Hi @Rebekah Wood  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

What problem are you trying to solve, or what questions you are trying to answer?

Knowing that will inform the options available to create reporting, and help the community give you ideas.  For example,

• you may be able to do what you ask with existing built-in reports, dashboards or use of Confluence,
  • perhaps you could use webhooks to push data into other tools which you already use for reporting,
  • perhaps you could use the REST API to pull data,
  • you could use a spreadsheet, or the Atlassian Excel add-on or Google Sheets add-ons to maintain your reports connections to Jira, or
  • if none of those meet your needs, you could investigate purchase options in the marketplace.

Best regards,

Bill

Rebekah Wood March 12, 2021

Thanks Bill. I'd like to take the same data that is exportable via Excel (i.e. issues for example) and create a much prettier report using the Jira tools. Does Confluence have more reporting options? I'm not using that today so maybe that's the problem. Thx!

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 12, 2021

Thanks for that information, Rebekah!

There are table structures and other gadgets in Confluence which help quite a bit.  Sadly there is no super-fancy reporting engine like in competitor products (without marketplace add-ons :^)

Please take a look at this tutorial and tips guide to see how that matches up with your needs:

https://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/guides/expand-confluence/confluence-and-jira#integrate-confluence-and-jira-software

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-Cloud-articles/Power-Tips-for-Using-Jira-amp-Confluence-Together/ba-p/1215958

0 votes
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 10, 2021

Hi @Rebekah Wood 

Yes you can dump data into Excel and build reports there. Other options could be to use an app like eazyBI. You can also explore using PowerBI, it can pull data from Jira using REST API.

I hope it helps.

Ravi

Rebekah Wood March 12, 2021

Thanks - I was hoping there was better reporting using Confluence or an ability to create your own custom report outside of an API. Appreciate it!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events