How do I create an email notification for a workflow transition?

Israel Dvorsky March 18, 2012

I would like to send an email to a users group once a workflow transition was made

4 answers

1 accepted

10 votes
Answer accepted
Maya S Chase
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2012

1. create a group for the users and add their names to it.

2. add a custom event to your list of available events.

3. edit your workflow for that particular transition (steps, not designer) and add a post function to issue your custom event.

4. in your notification scheme, for that event, have it send a notification to that named group of users from step 1.

This set of steps creates a very specific notification, targeted at one group for one transition for only whichever project(s) uses that notification scheme.

Israel Dvorsky March 19, 2012

Hi

I followed the steps and still it doesn't generate the email notification when the transition is made.

What am I doing wrong?

Maya S Chase
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 19, 2012

Well, there are some things I can give you to check.

Do other notifications work? Go to System -> Mail and send a test email, make sure that's working.

If that works, make sure the notification scheme itself is working - add yourself to the notifications for that particular event, and/or add Watchers and then watch the issue, and push another issue through that transition.

If that doesn't work, make sure the notification scheme itself is set up properly - make sure it's associated with the project where you're creating your test issue.

Other things to check - make sure your user emails are correct, and make sure they aren't filtering them out as spam.

Let me know how it goes ...

Israel Dvorsky March 19, 2012

Thanks Maya for your help.

I verified all the above and still it doesn't work.

I do receive email from the same notification scheme, for the same product and even for the same workflow (simply because I receieve an email for every update of an issue).

However, i can't get the "custom event" to trigger the email.

Benn Ingersoll February 16, 2016

Are you the one that is making the change that should fire the trigger?  Check your profile settings.  If you have the My Changes property set to Do not notify me, that could be the issue.

0 votes
Kha Tran October 7, 2015

Hello. I got the same problem.

1)Create new notification schema

2)Add new event

3)Assign email to event

4)associate with trainsition post function

but could not receive any notification.

any suggestions pls?

Benn Ingersoll February 16, 2016

Are you the one that is making the change that should fire the trigger?  Check your profile settings.  If you have the My Changes property set to Do not notify me, that could be the issue.

0 votes
Erik Anderson May 20, 2015

I am also trying to accomplish an automatic email notification for a workflow transition. I want testers to receive an automatic email when developers transition an issue from the "In-Progress" column to the "Testing" column during a Sprint in JIRA Agile. So I took the following steps:

1) Created a custom event called "Begin Testing"

2) Edited the workflow for the particular transition column "Testing" so that the "Begin Testing" event would fire and can be processed by the listeners.

3) I added two users to the custom event of "Begin Testing"

4) I then moved an issue from "In Progress" to "Begin Testing" and those users never received an email notification.

After those steps, I am still not receiving the users are still not receiving an email notification.

Nic Stransky May 20, 2015

You might be looking for the Post Function > Script Post Function > Send Custom Email Here's a sample I found with some relevant JIRA issue variables that will work: https://jamieechlin.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GRV/Built-In+Scripts#Built-InScripts-Sendacustomemail

0 votes
Maya S Chase
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 19, 2012

Ok, this is very strange, but I set up a scenario like this on my test JIRA, and I couldn't get the notification to a group to work, either, so I added a notification to current user (me), to make sure the event was firing. I got that email, so I removed the notification to current user, leaving only the notification to the group. When I tried a new issue to confirm that I really wasn't getting the email from the group ... it worked, I got the email.

This has got to be some sort of bug, and I have other notifications to user groups that work fine, so I assume there's a particular set of circumstances that trigger it. I would recommend adding and removing other notifications for that event, to see if that forces the user group notification to go out, and then when you do get it to work, file a bug for it. If you let me know the number, I'll log in and vote for it.

siva May 11, 2017

Hi 

i think my issue is related to this , 

we have 10 groups in servicedesk project,,what we need is when a issue is assigned to a particular group all the users in that group need to get the notification,, 

ihave tried to add in events for ( issue assigned ) i have added the 2 groups the problem is any issue that is assigned to any one in  all the 10 groups triggered email to every one in the 2 groups added , any changes you can help with?

Suggest an answer