How do I create a template to be used with a test session?

Geoff Wild December 17, 2014

I'm doing some research for our company, and I'm trying to figure out how to create a template for a test session. There was a question asked here, but it looks like it was never resolved. It would be really helpful if I could setup a default template as the shell for creating our test cases. Unfortunately, any template that I have created cannot be selected for the default template for a test session.

Could we have some more detailed documentation on how to use the default template feature for test sessions? The current info is not clear on how to create and use a template for test sessions.

Thanks,

Geoff

1 answer

0 votes
Ignat
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 23, 2014

Hi Geoff,

Just few words what templates are, and what they are not:

• You can use template for creating issues. You can pre-define fields in a template, and once template is being used - the correspondent issue fields will have values.
  • You can share your template with others. 
  • You can set a default template to be used in a test sessions (the template have to be shared first). When you do it, people who participate in the test session, will got the correspondent issue fields pre-defined (according to the template definitions).
  • You can NOT pre-define a test session. Each test session to be created separately without using defaults:
    Capture 2014-12-02 at 18.40.17.png

If you need all participants of a test session to use a template, you can do it when create a test session:

• via JIRA UI
  • via JIRA Capture browser extension

A sample screenshot how to do it:

Capture 2014-12-02 at 18.46.47.png

Hope this helps.

--

Cheers,

Ignat.

BenP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2015

Hi, I think there's a clear case (need/desire) for introducing something extra on Test Session in bonfire/capture so that the test session body can be defaulted with something. Not saying we need full-fledged custom fields etc.. but allowing to set a default text in the body, based parent issue type / project / system wide / .. would be very helpful. Cheers, Ben

Suggest an answer