How do I create a team using JIRA Agile?

Deleted user October 14, 2014

I am trying to setup our JIRA Agile environment but I can't even figure out how to create teams. I see where I can create projects and issues related to those projects but for the life of me I cannot seem to find any type of "create team" section. How do I actually create a team and assign members to those teams and then pull issues from multiple projects to build the team backlog? sad

2 answers

1 vote
Radim SM December 11, 2018

JIRA's new Portfolio has a Create Team function.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2014

JIRA Agile does not implement any "team" functions in this sense.  You can either put them in groups for each team (and add the groups to the projects), or add them individually to projects.  Once you've got users in projects, you include those in boards.

Thank you Nic. What if I have a team that touches more than one project during a Sprint? From what you're saying it sounds like I will have to assign each individual (or a Group) to each project and then those users will be jumping from project to project to find their work... What am I missing? It seems like there should still be a centralized location for teams to see and interact with all their work, regardless of project. The JIRA Agile demo shows a team called "Angry Nerds" that's assigned work from multiple projects. That's exactly what I'm trying to accomplish.

Like Ashwati Menon likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2014

The Angry Nerds team is handled by groups. I think the point of a board is that they are team artefacts, I tell a lot of people that they should organise projects along assorted lines, depending on their data, processes and structures, but everyone gets the same advice about boards - they're for teams. Yes, there's complexity about putting people into different projects, but I recommend using roles which lets project admins handle that, rather than Jira admins (so the owners of a project can control who is in it). But the boards are simple - team X needs to work on projects a, b, f, g and z, so set the filter for the board accordingly. It might be only part of a team working on project F, so let the projects own that, but the team as a whole should see f and all the other things the team is doing on the board.

Like Filipe Santos likes this

Thank you again Nic. Based on what you're saying, I think my issue is actually the boards. So far I have been able to create Projects with either a Kanban or Scrum Board but have not been able to create a Board that can be used per team (vs. per project). I will look into the documentation covering Boards and see if I'm doing something wrong when creating them :-)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 14, 2014

I usually create a board from a project, and then just edit the filter for the board. Change it from "project = x" to "project in (x, y, z)"

Like Peter van Andel likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events