How do I create a sprint with tasks from multiple projects/boards?

Travis Bailey December 30, 2015

I work for a company that creates apps.  Each of the apps has a separate board.  We have a small team and  need to work on a few bugs from one app, while creating a feature for another.  How can I add tasks from multiple projects/boards to a single sprint?

3 answers

4 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 30, 2015

To follow up on the response from @Nic Brough [Adaptavist] the way to do this is to follow these steps.

1. Create a filter that selects all the required stories from the different projects and save this as a shared filter.
  2. Create a scrum board based upon this new filter.

If you have scrum boards for any projects you should consider adjusting the filter to remove any stories that are in the cross-project scrum.

MS February 11, 2020

Hi, with the boards (2020) I have not found a possibility to make a scrum board with different projects only kanban. is this possible?

Like Adam Bob Roberts likes this
Ray Albert May 21, 2020

I know that this is an older thread.  I have somewhat of the same issue.  I manage multiple teams that support multiple departments.  I can create the filter as in the answer, but when i go across multiple projects, the create sprint & complete sprint will gray out and the team members can no longer manage the sprint.  For some reason my account does not have that affect.  Maybe because i am an admin and they are users.  I need a way to be able to have the filter span all projects and allow my team to be able to create the sprints.

Like Clockwood likes this
Niklas October 1, 2020

Hi Ray, 

same problem here. The problem maybe your filter JQL. Do you only select projects or something like tags, epic links a.s.o.?

See https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/using-manage-sprints-permission-for-advanced-cases-800708249.html for more information.

Greetings

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 30, 2015

Define a new scrum board that includes the issues you want in the sprint and create the sprint from that board.

It's going to get "interesting" having issues in different boards, but there is no other logical way to do it!

0 votes
Marcos April 15, 2016

Hi, I have some problems when I want to see the burndown chart (using remaining time estimate and hours instead stories)

For example, if I planned 100 hours in my sprint, when someone report hours (for example 10 hours), the chart automatically refresh the remaining time as the new main time and I can't see a decrement. This only happen with this sprint (a sprint with issues of several projects).

Any clue why? 

Greetings.

Suggest an answer