How do I create a permission level that is view only?

Joel Sandén March 4, 2016

Hi all

I have a group of users that I'd like to give a view only access to JIRA, they can't create new or change issues, projects or boards but they can view them. How do I create such a group?

Bonus question: Is it possible to make it possible for the above group to be able to only vote and watch issues? 

Bonus question no.2: Is it possible to give this group public access, i.e. so they don't have to login?

We're talking about a could account of JIRA here.

2 answers

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2016

Just give the group Browse permission to the project. If they can browse it they can vote and watch. I've never done it, but if you give the browse permission to 'Anyone' then non JIRA users can see issues.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2016

Yes, but you need to amend your permission schemes to do it.

You want to add this group to "can log in" global permission, and then add them into your projects in such a way as they only get "browse project" and "vote" permissions.

I would create a new global role called something like "read only", amend the permission schemes so that the new role gets browse and vote, and then add the group to each project they should be allowed to see.

For non-login access, that's a bit different.  You can enable "anonymous" access to a project, so that everyone can see it without any login.  But I do mean everyone.  The whole world.  I would generally not allow anonymous access to any other function, as you won't be able to see who is changing stuff, and that's not good.

Suggest an answer